Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Not until the artist is done with all the drawings Jon. Back to the original subject. Maybe the rumored MGM Cadet was another one of the museum specimens. How many are accounted for?
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 09-17-2013 at 01:32.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Back to the original subject.
    I wondered if I was the only one catching that. A picture of what is a very interesting area of the field followed by two pages of worrying about the background. If I look at the original Harley Davidson I don't spend my time focused on the rust on the spokes.

I bought a brand new truck once sight unseen. What's to see? I want the following options: X, Y, and Z. The told me they didn't have one with those options. Get one from another dealer. There are two in Minneapolis. Blue or Brown? You pick. I don't care. If it has the options I'm after the color isn't something that I'm going to spend time on.

Different strokes I guess.

My wife was very particular her car be dark blue. She didn't care about the options. She had red hair. That was my weakness. So not even the same with the same person.

Dick, I didn't say I couldn't do it. I said I didn't care enough to.

Maybe the rumored MGM Cadet was another one of the museum specimens. How many are accounted for?
    CPSD. Wouldn't want to spoil the surprise. That term is in the book. You'll chuckle when you get it.

The cadets are solved.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 09-17-2013 at 02:55.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    Aaah,

does this mean the book is coming out soon?

jn
    Before Christmas at the latest. Started on the 19th of July so it's going to be quick and dirty.

Of all the people I can think of I suspect you'll enjoy it the most.

That's a compliment.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 09-17-2013 at 03:07.

I never said I thought you COULDN'T do it. But, I'm done on that facet of the subject.

How did you fake the stock, or did you find one already cut for the band-spring? Butt swivel is easy, especially on edge in the shadows, though a grain-matched plug could be fitted for more realism, if the parts were to stay together. I was going to stretch a surplus carbine stock, but, as you pointed out, the wrist wouldn't be right.

5. Default

When they made science fiction and submarine movies they used models. Hung from thin wire. Everyone knew that as you could see the wire if you looked hard. When the television Star Trek came out they used models. You couldn't see the strings. They hung them upside down and then did a 180 on the film. The wires are below.

I didn't need to know that. Now I spend my time looking for the strings. Best to keep the illusion. Perception is an interesting field.

The thing is kind of hypnotic isn't it?

====

Think I should use the mill to turn the barrel down?

Stare really hard at the grasping grooves. See it?
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 09-17-2013 at 05:41.

I'd certainly like a copy of your book, as well. Ballpark idea on what the cost will be? If it would work better, feel free to email/PM me.
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 09-17-2013 at 05:50.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Don't know what you are driving at with the grasping grooves, and you are not going to lure me into saying why, but, on the "cadet" you certainly could have Photoshopped the band-spring, or, simply laid a strip of metal, or glued a slip of silvery-colored paper, in the right spot. Once you start making things up, where do you stop? No, don't turn the barrel - you don't have a "school gun"?

8. Default

Four of the later cadets produced. One was brought back to West Point by Mallory and an accomplice. Tom had one he sold at Baltimore 2 or 3 years ago. One was owned by a lady collector , Mary? The fourth one, ?

That's what I was thinking too, Kragrifle, guess I'll give up hope of finding one in some old barn that I can buy for a couple hundred. Got a good look at Schultz's Krag today, appeared to be a rifle with its barrel cut to 24", or maybe one of Dick's BOF rifles, certainly not a 30" barrel.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 09-17-2013 at 10:29.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

So, Bob, HOW LONG IS IT???????