Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default RIA Correct Cartouche?

I have been out of the loop on 03s for awhile, but what appears to be an "all correct" 1918 RIA has caught my interest. Have a couple of questions. First the serial is 311834 with 7-18 RI barrel. The stock cartouche is a capital "B" but it also has the boxed WMH 1918. Script P and marked RI on tip. Is this correct?
    Lastly, where have the prices gone on these So called "unissued" rifles? Is $3000 a crazy price? Or what? Thanks for the help. This rifle looks like the really nice NRAs.

Unfortunately, prices have gone up, especially on really nice rifles. For that price I'd want to look the rifle over with a fine-tooth comb. Look at the bolt, for starters.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

3. Default

Thanks Rick. The bolt appears to be marked. H l O, but the first letter could be a B or an R. I need more magnification. What about the stock cartouche? And what is the best book to check for correctness. I think I have them all in my library. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luger1914 View Post
    I have been out of the loop on 03s for awhile, but what appears to be an "all correct" 1918 RIA has caught my interest. Have a couple of questions. First the serial is 311834 with 7-18 RI barrel. The stock cartouche is a capital "B" but it also has the boxed WMH 1918. Script P and marked RI on tip. Is this correct?
    Lastly, where have the prices gone on these So called "unissued" rifles? Is $3000 a crazy price? Or what? Thanks for the help. This rifle looks like the really nice NRAs.
    The capital "B" and the "WMH/1918" inspection stamps suggest that the rifle may have been through overhaul. The presence of multiple inspection stamps, however, is not unheard of, although extremely rare. If the rifle is assembled from all correct parts, then it's probably original and, based on your description, the price is not unreasonable.

The bolt marking is either "R 10" or "B 10", both of which are RIA bolt markings from 1918, i.e., the rifle has the correct bolt.

During the period when the rifle was made, RIA was engaged in manufacturing spare parts and was allowed to assemble only a small quantity of rifles each day as a quality check on interchangeability. Original WWI RIA rifles are very scarce.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post

During the period when the rifle was made, RIA was engaged in manufacturing spare parts and was allowed to assemble only a small quantity of rifles each day as a quality check on interchangeability. Original WWI RIA rifles are very scarce.

Hope this helps.

J.B.
    That information is Very interesting John! I didn't know that. Thanks!

F.G.

6. Default

Upon further review, the bolt is marked H 10 which I believe is Springfield. The bolt body is parked. Leads me to believe it has been thru overhaul. A very nice rifle, but not original. Thanks John.

Blog Entries

Upon further review, the bolt is marked H 10 which I believe is Springfield. The bolt body is parked. Leads me to believe it has been thru overhaul. A very nice rifle, but not original. Thanks John.
    I might have missed it but a H 10 does not show on the bolt chart....
    You sure of the numbers??.

With no intention of disputing your observation, if the marking appears underneath the bolt handle, then the marking is an RIA marking from 1918. Springfield bolts were marked on the safety lug.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Could we see some pictures of the rifle?

10. Default

John--The marking is H l 0 with the l being taller than the H and 0. It appears under the bolt handle. And, as Rebound said, I do not find this marking in the Vi shooter bolt chart. Either under Rock Island or Springfield. Has this marking been added? Thanks