Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Blue Max"

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Not only did the movie use the Irish army for both sides, but the only thing they changed for the german side was the helmets! Oh, and the "german" helmets were also Irish free state from between the wars!
    And those "German" Helmets were made in the UK by Vickers

2. Default

Most of the aircraft used were converted DeHavilland Tiger Moth trainers. there was a Replica Pfalz and triplane. A great movie from my child hood, but the one thing that really gets me annoyed is how the Maxims are fired. By the way the Observer Stachel shoots is using a Bren not a Lewis

Default DR 1 models

Always enjoy building and posting DR1 model photos. These are old Monogram 1/4 scale kits
    from years ago. I believe the DR1,s used in Blue Max were not full size ?

If I ever win the mega millions I really want a hand built blueprinted Spad or DR1. Ofcourse, with some modern improvements to the engine so it won't coat me in oil and stall out constantly.......and a parachute.... a really good parachute.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Interesting fact, parachutes were available and used by baloon observers But the "Brit War office" didn't issue them to pilots "because pilots might "Not tend to fight their aircraft but bail out instead if they got into trouble!"

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Interesting fact, parachutes were available and used by baloon observers But the "Brit War office" didn't issue them to pilots "because pilots might "Not tend to fight their aircraft but bail out instead if they got into trouble!"
    YEP, Pilots just weren't worth as much back then
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Guamsst View Post
    If I ever win the mega millions I really want a hand built blueprinted Spad or DR1. Ofcourse, with some modern improvements to the engine so it won't coat me in oil and stall out constantly.......and a parachute.... a really good parachute.
    The SPAD is my favorite WW1 fighter. I saw an ultra light one at an air show a couple of years ago. It was almost perfect, except for the size of course.

I took this pic for my wife while she was still in England. We have a running gag going where we compete for the most rediculous photo or idea based on her PillowPets. I am currently the winner as the Unicorn should be on the new season of Cajun Pawn Stars.

This was at the Ft Worth militaria show. The corsair was a really nice little plane, IT IS an actual flyable aircraft and the owners were super great people.

Last edited by Guamsst; 09-20-2013 at 09:54.

Ok it's only a replica but there are lots of good references.... Why screw it up this bad?

Japanese kill markings, postwar insgnia, and MARINES goes aft on the fuselage on postwar aircraft, postwar plane would be overall glossy sea blue, no gull gray undersurfaces. This thing is a mixture of paintwork, all wrong.

That said, some people who own the real ones worth close to a million bucks mark them up like toys, too.

Airplane goon, signing off.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 09-21-2013 at 07:41.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    Ok it's only a replica but there are lots of good references.... Why screw it up this bad?

Japanese kill markings, postwar insgnia, and MARINES goes aft on the fuselage on postwar aircraft, postwar plane would be overall glossy sea blue, no gull gray undersurfaces. This thing is a mixture of paintwork, all wrong.

That said, some people who own the real ones worth close to a million bucks mark them up like toys, too.

Airplane goon, signing off.
    I agree that thing just doesn't look right. Even the font is wrong.

Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur