Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Parashooter View Post
    1. They're chargers. (No strippers or other exotic dancers were involved in design or production.)

2. Not nails, they're through brass rod with both ends riveted over. That way they can't work themselves out.

Final version dispensed with two-piece wooden plug, replacing it with integral soldered or folded closure. Unlike some designs, the U-slot is open from above - enabling user to propel cartridges into magazine with thumb or finger of either hand.

I stand corrected. I just wasn't thinking when I typed the post.

Paul, I think the basic pattern is in the forum archives, don't have time to look for it and link you to it right now, but we've discussed it before and parashooter put up the dimensions. Mine is rough because it was my first attempt, didn't need anymore at the time, but I have enough .030" sheet brass to make several. No doubt aluminum would be easier to bend and cheaper.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

I think I'd go with Brass. Aluminum can be easy to bend, but can also be brittle. Brass can be bent and formed easily, and the joints can be soldered giving it a smooth and finished appearance. I'll look in the archives , and if I find it, I'll post a link!

Sell plans? You've got to be kidding. Would you want to deal with klutzes who can't follow instructions or snip a pattern?

Here's a copy of the cutting template, complete with a ruler. If you have the skill to re-size and print this at actual size, you might also be able to transfer it to sheet metal and bend it into a useable charger.

Brass is good, copper really nice, aluminum works fine, as does steel - made a couple from an empty WD40 can: ugly but functional.

That's awesome Para... Many Thanks to you sir!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Parashooter View Post
    1. They're chargers. (No strippers or other exotic dancers were involved in design or production.)

2. Not nails, they're through brass rod with both ends riveted over. That way they can't work themselves out.

Final version dispensed with two-piece wooden plug, replacing it with integral soldered or folded closure. Unlike some designs, the U-slot is open from above - enabling user to propel cartridges into magazine with thumb or finger of either hand.

Do you plan to make any more? I just started shooting the CMP Games with a Krag and have been loading individually, one mistake and I'm screwed.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Match223 View Post
    Do you plan to make any more?
    No. These are strictly for my own amusement. If you need one, making it yourself is not beyond the skill level of anyone who can operate a Krag without mishap. In other words, unless so clumsy your own feet are at risk when shooting, you should be able to handle a little basic sheet metal work.

Yea, I only cut myself twice, and I'm almost at the level Parashooter mentioned. Brass sheet is available on ebay or other websites that specialize in sheet metal.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 09-18-2013 at 09:22.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Or check the K&S metals display at the local hardware store -

I'll give it a try, it's going to be raining this Saturday anways,

Gary