Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, I got myself a Krag. Here's some pics. How did I do?

Default Well, I got myself a Krag. Here's some pics. How did I do?

Got the rifle and bayonet for $500. Headspace checks out good, and bore is dull but has good rifling. I believe according to Poyer it was made in Nov. 1902??

Very nice, and you stole it!

You made a very good deal - usually I berate people who buy the gun and then ask how they did. To me, especially if one is not familiar with the item in question, that is a question one asks before one buys. And, if you know what you got, then you already know if it was a good deal or not. Anyway - nice rifle! The fact that the receiver was made in 1902 and the stock has a 1903 stamp, is entirely believable, and should not be any cause for concern.

The only reference book I've got so far is Poyer's, although I have a copy of Mallory's on order. This rifle became available to me quite suddendly, and there were several other people who wanted it also. I was offered it first but had to decide at time of offer with no chance of posting pictures or getting opinions from forum members before deciding. It looked good to me so I went for it hoping I wasn't missing something since the price was so low. When I get Mallorys and Brophys books I'll know more about what I got.

I agree with everyone else, a great deal, especially with the bayonet thrown in. I'm assuming the bayonet didn't have a scabbard, but still worth $100 alone. You paid probably a little more (very little) than 1/2 what the combo was worth IMHO.

God looks after fools, drunks and some Krag buyers (at least, He did me, too!!)
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

LOL Rick!

Over on my side of the nation a half decent shooter-Krag, even if not a perfect blend of the appropriate parts, is worth 6 bills. I'm happy for you, wish it was me that got that rifle for 500, even without the bayonet.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

+1 WHG. You did good on that one.

jn

The sling looks like a Kerr and should be worth $175 by itself.

10. Default

Very nice. You did well.