Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KFC Rations

Default KFC Rations

Anyone remember these ? Added Note: Above title should have read "KSC Rations"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Varmintpopper; 09-05-2013 at 07:54.

I've never seen one. By the time it was made I was out. I remember C Rats very well.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Varmintpopper View Post
    Anyone remember these ? Added Note: Above title should have read "KSC Rations"
    When I was in, I would have given my left arm for some KFC

Kimchee??

5. Default

Korean Service Corps? 8th Army porters

Weren't K-rats used when in the field by the Field Kitchen? And even were used sometimes at the home base to use them up. I think that even sometimes the cooks some C-rats, like beans and franks and lima beans and ham, at home station or at the field kitchen just to get rid of them.
    You can never see too many Sun Rises nor enough Sun Sets.

Blog Entries

Yep we ate C's in the mess hall about every six months and drew replacement rations. Since we had alerts on a monthly basis our alert rations got loaded,wooled around,hauled,and finally unloaded at least once a month;the cases could get in pretty sad shape.So by eating up the old and drawing new rations we stayed ahead of that game. The cooks would open the cans,put like foods in one pot and something different in other pots,add some seasoning and heat.It was pretty good eating. The cigarettes,candy bars,gum, and P-38s went in a box down at the end of the serving line if you were interested. The toilet paper,hard crackers, drink powders,and condiments went in the trash. It only took a couple or three days of noon meals to get rid of the shopworn stuff. This was in 1957 and 58 in Germany. There were no K rations at that time to my knowledge.
    Last edited by Festus39; 09-17-2013 at 07:38.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Festus39 View Post
    Yep we ate C's in the mess hall about every six months and drew replacement rations. Since we had alerts on a monthly basis our alert rations got loaded,wooled around,hauled,and finally unloaded at least once a month;the cases could get in pretty sad shape.So by eating up the old and drawing new rations we stayed ahead of that game. The cooks would open the cans,put like foods in one pot and something different in other pots,add some seasoning and heat.It was pretty good eating. The cigarettes,candy bars,gum, and P-38s went in a box down at the end of the serving line if you were interested. The toilet paper,hard crackers, drink powders,and condiments went in the trash. It only took a couple or three days of noon meals to get rid of the shopworn stuff. This was in 1957 and 58 in Germany. There were no K rations at that time to my knowledge.
    Same in the States.

9. Default

In the States during the early '70s, once in a very blue moon there might be Cs for lunch in the mess hall. Meat units all heated in a big pot of boiling water, the rest of the box handed to you as you went through the line.

Normally any Cs we drew were eaten in the field. Any extras were stolen for midnight snacks or something to eat at the end of the month when all the mess hall had was hot dogs.

K-Rations (U.S. Army Field Ration K) were withdrawn from the supply system post-WWII and declared obsolete in 1948. Leftover stocks were used up in civilian feeding programs overseas; there were still lots of hungry people in Europe and Asia. It's highly unlikely that any GI saw a K-ration after 1946-47.

During the Korean War and for a period afterwards the U.S. supplied the ROK Armed Forces and Korean Service Corps (KSC) with rations tailored to their needs. Later of course, they made their own like the ones in the picture. Sometimes you could trade for Cs or MREs if you were near a ROK unit and were curious. I've eaten in a couple ROKAF mess halls/Sergeant's Mess and while I thought the food wasn't bad, I'm sure they felt about it the same way we felt about ours - It usually made an OK turd.

Maury

10. Default

We ate late 1940's rations at Polk in Basic, and AIT winter of '70, spring '71. Remember the 4 pack of smokes (Chesterfields and Luckies) had a V on them with a B29 superemposed on them "Buy War Bonds". Tootsie rolls and chicklets would break a tooth. Fist fights over the pound cake and peaches. AAAHHH nostalgia....... Glad I ain't got to do that again!! And in the feild in Germany when they decided the mess truck wouldn't make it we had 1950's vintage canned fare, yum. Just Another Old Doggy, Don