Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My pet load I think

Been working up a pet brush hunting load for the trapdoor. Furthest shot would probably be 50 yards. I was given 2 lbs Pyrodex and wanted to use it even though I like BP better.

star line brass with flash hole drill with number 41 drill bit
    CCI magnum rifle primer
    Lee 500 grain bullet 1/20 tin to lead tumble lube with ALOX .459 (bore .457)
    1/16 inch card behind bullet
    41 grains PYRODEX RS very slightly compressed

Shot over chronograph yesterday. Average velocity 1125 in 20 shots. Low 1098/high 1150. Points of impact at 50 yards 3 to 4 inches high. Nice group with no flyers. Ran a couple patches through bore every 4 shots.

I think I'll stick here, I could load it faster but for whitetail it should more than do if I do my parts

Did the original GI 45-70-500 run around 1300 fps.Since Pyrodex is nèw to me if you see anything I should try different let me know

P246, the only possible problem i can see with your recipe is the Alox lube.
    In hunting situations It will work, but it does not have the quality or amount of lube needed for the big bullet in repeated shots for target work.

Thanks for the reply. I was concerned about that. I did fill the grease slots full of ALOX. I have only cast for 45ACP and 12 gauge slugs. The ALOX works fine in 45ACP. I've been looking at some other options and even thought a bout sizing them down and paperpatching no more than I shoot it.

I also looked at a dip lube beeswax (40%) Lanolin (5%) Crisco rest. I've found some others but I may try this. I 've got to do more research though. Three components easy to find but I need to see if its pyrodex friendly.
    Last edited by p246; 09-04-2013 at 12:46. Reason: added dip lube thought.

P246, I would not size down, if anything the trapdoor likes a larger bullet (.459--.460) don't know without sluging the barrel.
    Pan lubeing is good
    Here is a web sight for lube.
    www.bpcr.net/index-a.htm

Quote Originally Posted by mannparks View Post
    P246, I would not size down, if anything the trapdoor likes a larger bullet (.459--.460) don't know without sluging the barrel.
    Pan lubeing is good
    Here is a web sight for lube.
    www.bpcr.net/index-a.htm
    Thanks for reply. Black powder center fire is a new venture for me recently. I slugged barrel and its .457, hence. 459 pills. I wanted to find a lube a turn of century person might readily make. Got eager and used ALOX for first batch because thats what i had. Musketshooter told me about yellow beeswax and olive oil so I want to try that. I'd also like to try paperpatching but my understanding is I'd have to size down to. 457 or so and paperpatch back up to. 459. I'veread to dip paper in sprite before applying. I'm trying to go old school with trapdoor. I know pyrodex is not old school but this is only gun I can use it in so I'll use it up then go back to BP. I was surprised 41 grains of Pyrodex got me to 1125 fps. I read an old post on here where one used 58 grains to go slightly over 1300. Any experienced input welcome.
    Last edited by p246; 09-05-2013 at 12:18.

Std load pyrodex rs (60 GRS. By weight) lyman 500 gr #457125 mold bullet..180 compresion
    Remember no air space in the cartridge. veg wad under bullet base.
    This load goes in s Sharps m1874.
    will also be a starting place for the TD.
    By the way this load holds 1 3/8 @ 100 yds
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by mannparks View Post
    Std load pyrodex rs (60 GRS. By weight) lyman 500 gr #457125 mold bullet..180 compresion
    Remember no air space in the cartridge. veg wad under bullet base.
    This load goes in s Sharps m1874.
    will also be a starting place for the TD.
    By the way this load holds 1 3/8 @ 100 yds
    Charles
    Thanks. I noticed you use veg wae. I used a paper(cardboardtype) card. Does the type of card matter or is just making sure there is no airspace the most important factor. I want to keep my any loads under or right at 1300 fps in this old trapdoor just to be safe.

The wad is just another ingredient that has to be experimented with.
    Safety wise leaving no air space in the cartridge Case is a must.
    The load I spoke of has a muzzle speed of +/- 1100fps.
    Charles

The original loads for the trapdoor were never to my knowledge paper patched. The how based bullets were intended to expand and grip the rifling. Very similar to the minie' bullet used during the civil war. The army didn't want to mess with patching. That was a target practice or early buffalo hunter deal.

I meant to say the hollow based bullets. And having never patched a bullet I m no expert but for target use they may have added to the accuracy of the loads. It's just that patching was never involed in government military loads.