Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kriger is Shady

I suspect that Kreiger's rep forgot to write down all the specs per 1st conversation............or that someone called to complain about the length of the waiting period & said to send them the dern barrel............just guessing chuck........... like I said, we always have had exc service from them...........
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by da gimp View Post
    ............or that someone called to complain about the length of the waiting period & said to send them the dern barrel.............
    I certainly didn't call and complain about the wait. As stated in my OP, I expected something like 6-8 months, and was surprised when it showed up in 5.

Either way, I still stand by the title of this thread.
    "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."

3. Default

I'm sorry you had this giant PITA goat rodeo to go through but now that it's done, how does it shoot? Have you had a chance to try any target loads though it?

I just last night sorted out an extractor issue which was causing cambering issues.

I had taken the rifle to the range once, just to break the barrel in. To get the scope zero'd I started at 50y. I was having so much fun that I realized I had plowed through 20 rounds, most of which were clover-leafing, before I knew it. That equates to about .5MOA I figure. Then I placed 1" dots and was easily able to put a round in each. Moving to 100 yards I lost a little accuracy, but considering I'm using CMP ammo I really wasn't expecting much.

Once I get the time later this month I will do a full review and a range report using custom reloads. By then I will be able to really show how well this puppy performs.

Either way, I'm sure that once I have the right reload cocktail for this plinker, I'm certain she will become my favorite bolt gun.
    Last edited by GillaFunk; 10-15-2013 at 01:17.

5. Default

I'd be interested in your reloading results when you get to it. I put together my 1903a1 last year and it is my favorite bolt gun. One of the things I've had fun with this past season is experimenting with a bunch of different powders. With the lack of supply, I've shot IMRs 4895, 4064, and 4350. I've also loaded Ramshot Big Game and Alliant Reloder 19. Bullets have been Sierra MK 168 and 190 (in the old cardboard boxes from my late Dad's stash) and some Winchester 147 FMJ boat tails I've had so long I don't remember getting them. Those Winchesters actually did OK but the Sierras were better. Got good results with the Big Game and Reloder 19, I'd never used them before. My barrel is a low mileage SA 07 so I'm a little jealous of your new Krieger. Chuck drilled, tapped, and mounted my scope blocks. He also sold me one of his A4orgery bolts as my rifle came with a SHT bolt. I love Chuck's bolt, it's much smoother than the old one. I shoot it in mid range belly matches, if you have those in your area give them a try, they're a lot of fun.

Sorry I think Porsche is an overpriced POS also that's why I drive a jag. Putting a Krieger on a un blue printed 1903 is silly. You would also need new trigger, and bedding. Like cars you just can't stick a Holley dobule pumper on and think you have a race car

wow. Sorry you feel that way.

I have my reload tests complete. This issue rifle from 1942 fitted with just a Krieger barrel shoots better ballisticly than my Remington 700 .308.

Using 190g SMK, IMR4350, and HPX brass shoots ~2660fps, SD 4.9, ES of ~5 or so. Its a fairly jolting experience with that load, so my groups are only about 1.5MOA right now. Once I get some trigger time this spring, I should be Sub MOA for sure.

She can constantly hit an 8" plate at 700y using Greek surplus ammo.

I never wanted a race car. I just wanted an accurate 1903 that will hold its own at 1,000. I have enough adjustment in the scope to reach out to 1,000. If she holds 8" groups at that distance during competitions, I will be totally happy.
    Last edited by GillaFunk; 03-11-2014 at 01:03.

GillaFunk this is the reason many people do not post on these boards, no matter what, someone has to piss on your cornflakes. Good luck on that build , sounds like that's a life long rifle.
    m1ashot you must be rich because that's the only way you could afford to keep a jag running.

who said his rifle wasnt blueprinted??? it was, and by me...
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

I'll be sure to post a lengthy picture heavy build and range report of this clunker once all the last bits are reassembled.

chuck knows how to build boom sticks.