Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kriger is Shady

Default Kriger is Shady

Rant on;

In February I called Krieger to order a non-parkerized .30-06 GI spec barrel with a 1:11 twist, that would be custom chambered for my hand-load. I spoke to one of their workshop/barrel cutter's at length about what I was looking to have done. I was told it would take about 8 months to finish. 6 months later the barrel was done and shipped to my gunsmith. The gunsmith is assembling my build and noticed something odd about the barrel.

Mainly it was 3.5" too long

After emailing Krieger I was told that since they did not short chamber or crown the rifle, it was left at blank length, but cut for the front sight key at the correct legnth. In short, they told me I'll have to cut, crown and finish the barrel on my own dime.

Now, this is my first rifle build, but given what I told them, and after looking at my order form, and emails to them I am astonished they are pulling this malarkey, knowing full well I am not happy with what they did, nor is it what I ordered.

My only hope is the chamber is short enough to still accommodate reaming/finish for my custom round length. The smith has already resolved the barrel length/crowning issue.

Either way a big to Krieger for weaseling out of providing what was asked.

Note to self; apparently one has to talk to Krieger staff like a 5 year old to ensure that what you order is accurately produced. Otherwise, it seems they do whatever they like, and you don't know what you'll get until it has shipped.

Rant off
    "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."

2. Default

I have had many barrels installed by my gunsmith, and in most, if not all cases, the blank is about 27 inches long, and cut to finish length and crowned by the gunsmith. Look again at your written order. If it does not include the crowning of the muzzle, sounds to me that the barrel maker did what is standard in the industry.

the issue i see, is that extra money and instructions were given to get a barrel in the exact form of a 1903 springfield, short chambered so that the gunsmith {me} could cut it to his handloaded cases, as he plans on only shooting his handloads.
    he paid twice as much for this barrel in the white, then he could have gotten one from Criterian parked , short chambered, and crowned correctly..
    said barrel is now cut and crowned..and star gauged for that matter... but this cost him more money...when in fact, he paid more to have it done from them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill H View Post
    Look again at your written order. If it does not include the crowning of the muzzle, sounds to me that the barrel maker did what is standard in the industry.
    I spoke with the Krieger rep the day I submitted my form, and addressed the form to him via email. I identified I needed the chamber will be finished for custom dimension loads. On my order form I asked for a 1903 Springfield mil-spec barrel in the white, with a custom twist.

No where at any time was anything said about not finishing the muzzle to mil-spec.

I paid extra and waited 6 months for a custom barrel that should have only needed chamber finishing/reaming and a park job. What I got was an unfinished barrel.

Kreigers response, in short is, 'Oh well'. So much fail.
    Last edited by GillaFunk; 08-29-2013 at 10:45.

5. Default

I know...you paid for a standard length barrel, but does you 'smith not have a lathe? Would seem to be a simple task to cut and recrown. Custom jobs often throw a curve ball to the builder.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg/Wi View Post
    I know...you paid for a standard length barrel, but does you 'smith not have a lathe? Would seem to be a simple task to cut and recrown. Custom jobs often throw a curve ball to the builder.
    have you read this post?? yes, his smith has a lathe....and yes..his smith got it handled...
    see the pics?????

7. Default

Sorry Chuck, missed the pic of the crown job. Looks good. The barrel should be and accurate one.
    Last edited by Greg/Wi; 08-30-2013 at 05:38.

Meh....either way, I have no doubt Chuck will boss this rifle out, will shoot like laser and will easily replace my Rem 700 as my favorite bolt action.
    Last edited by GillaFunk; 08-30-2013 at 03:56.

9. Default

Sorry to hear your troubles. I shot competitive for about 10 years and Krieger barrels were all I used except for one Douglas M1A barrel that lasted 1500-2000 rds. Built my Win 70 match rifle with one, but that one too was finished by the gunsmith. We knew it was going to be a blank so there was no surprises. Always thought of them as top notch outfit. Sounds more than frustrating. Good luck with your custom rifle. Regards, John.

so this barrel issue just got even worse...and addmited i over looked it untill now..
    this morning...being on the down side of his project...i set his barreled action into my soft jawed vise..as i planned on finish reaming his barrel to his handloads that he sent with the rifle and barrel...to find...the barrel wasnt ever chambered...not short chambered, not full lenth chambered.....NOT CHAMBERED...WTH??
    i am supprised at the BS from this company...really... im sure some lack of communication is in order....but this is pretty stupid...
    when a customer paid more for special services...why miss the basic services of a install barrel...and then not own up to it...cant say would ever recommend them to anyone in the future...so...now..ill have to remove his barrel after i have it drilled and tapped for his mounts...and bore sighted....and chamber the barrel....and then install it again. and rebore sight the scope...what a big waste of time...if i had a time machine...i would have stopped...and check all this before i cut the muzzle and drilled it..my mistake was trusting that they would have short chambered the barrel....
    let me make my statement clear...im not putting all this on Krieger.. as soon as i saw the muzzle being longer then normal, i should have looked at every part of this barrel...dems ect...i trusted that i would have gotten a short chambered barrel in 30-06 cal, like the customer thought he ordered....i belive this is a 3 way fail...first the customer for not getting clear on what he was buying, Kriger for not making sure exactlly what he ordered..and lastly me. for not make damn sure the barrel is right...
    the big issue i have is how Kriger responded to him...basicly you ordered it..you did it..rather then say..hey. there was a breakdown in communication as to what you needed and wanted.. we value you as a customer, lets see how and if we can make this right...
    on my end. iv kept the customer in the loop as to the issue...and wont charge him for my over sight on missing the chamber issue.. just my own frustration on having the barrel, set up, sights installed, bases installed, scope bore sighted ceneter..and was hoping to have it parked and assembled by mid week...
    Kriger dropped the ball, and gave the customer the we dont give a S&Ht additude... it truly could have been handled better..
    Last edited by chuckindenver; 09-15-2013 at 10:29.