Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Struggling with off-hand hold position

What have others found to be the most stable hold (non-shooting hand) for an M1 or 1903 rifle in off hand for themselves.

I've tried a few variations, resting on a relaxed fist, resting on thumb and index finger. It would seem I'm holding too long if its causing me trouble.

2. Default

CMP has some good stuff on basic position building here http://www.odcmp.com/Training/CoachingResources.htm

Your non-firing hand position is going to depend mainly on your body shape and target height. What works for a person with short arms or big hands isn't going to work for someone at the other end of the scale. You really have to try each one to see which works best for you.

You should be able to build a relaxed, stable position that allows you to hold the rifle up in the general direction of the target for relatively long periods (eg, waiting for a lull in the wind). If you can't do this try some dryfire holding drills. They build strength, stamina and muscle memory. One common drill is to bring the rifle up, hold for one minute, bring the rifle down, rest for one minute, lather-rinse-repeat. A beeping kitchen timer works well for this cycle.

Everybody's got a wobble area; I don't know anyone who can just sit in the 10-ring Standing. The idea is to get it as small as possible for long enough to break the shot.

Maury

I would offer this, while hand position is one thing, what contact, if any, is being made by that portion of the arm at the elbow and above to the body? Also, a very firm grip on the pistol grip with the "gun hand" while pulling firmly into the pocket of the shoulder should improve your position. Another area of concern in OH is to always bring the sight to the eye. Avoid lowering the head to acquire a sight picture. Contact on the face is determined by the cheek bone or the fleshy part of the cheek. Start with the best textbook OH position you can take and then adapt that to your body size and style. Don't forget the "natural point of aim" otherwise known as "natural body alignment". A good way to start is to always "build" the position from the ground up.
    HTH George in NH

I think that Maury is right about your body type (and rifle type) somewhat driving the best hand position. I have short T-Rex arms and use the thumb and first two fingers on a Springfield, a fist for a Garand, and the reverse hand grip for an AR. I use a high elbow for any 30 cal with the butt actually in the shoulder pocket and a firm grip on the trigger hand. The biggest two factors for me are 1) natural point of aim. and 2) if I don't break the shot in the first 5 seconds of taking up the first stage...I might as well start over 'cause it isn't getting any better from there.

One other thing that doesn't have to do directly with hold. When you take that breath, let out half of it and hold you should try to get the shot off within ten seconds. This has to do with more than fatigue, after that the lack of new oxygen to the brain starts to affect vision. If you don't have a "bang" in 10 seconds try a re set.

I believe that working out with your rifle to build muscle memory is the only way to achieve results--It was taught to me in 1958 at boot camp-especially if you are older

7. Default

Air rifle in the garage/basement is so much more fun than dry fire, it's a great way to really improve. I work at home and usually fling a few pellets at lunch.

Blog Entries

I forgot about my question asked here. All good advice, and will use everyone's recommendations to my benefit. Just building consistency in natural point of aim, with what hold allows for best sight picture. I've also got some better glasses coming my way, as wearing my normal specs has been a large distraction.

I just need to find out if Maury will do some private lessons in Tucson for me.

Roadkingtrax where is your support hand when you are holding?

Give the average guy a rifle and ask him to shoot offhand the support hand is up past the center of the rifle. That kind of pulls your upper arm away from your body eliminating the support your torso can provide.

I usually held my support hand somewhere on the mag plate of my 03. A Master had me bring my hand back to the trigger guard/pistol grip (C stock). The lines of the 1903 are so well formed that there is no weight at the front of the rifle and I can hold the rifle like I'm shooting a shoulder stocked Broomhandle Mauser. This keeps my upper arm in full contact with my Torso and my support arm isnt out in space canterlevered out away from my body.

For the Garand I think my hold is more over the trigger guard to account for a slightly heavier front end.

I let my front sight dance a figure eight pattern and try to concentrate on just the slow, steady, SQUEEZE of the trigger.

This and double hearing protection ensures I am about as mediocre a shooter that I can be so take the advice for what its worth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pmclaine View Post
    Roadkingtrax where is your support hand when you are holding?

Give the average guy a rifle and ask him to shoot offhand the support hand is up past the center of the rifle. That kind of pulls your upper arm away from your body eliminating the support your torso can provide.

I usually held my support hand somewhere on the mag plate of my 03. A Master had me bring my hand back to the trigger guard/pistol grip (C stock). The lines of the 1903 are so well formed that there is no weight at the front of the rifle and I can hold the rifle like I'm shooting a shoulder stocked Broomhandle Mauser. This keeps my upper arm in full contact with my Torso and my support arm isnt out in space canterlevered out away from my body.

For the Garand I think my hold is more over the trigger guard to account for a slightly heavier front end.

I let my front sight dance a figure eight pattern and try to concentrate on just the slow, steady, SQUEEZE of the trigger.

This and double hearing protection ensures I am about as mediocre a shooter that I can be so take the advice for what its worth.
    I've tried some exercises with the C-Stock, and for my ergonomics...the rifle doesn't balance as well. Are you using your palm to accomplish this position? Also, do you use a heavily padded glove?

It's been so hot...I need to get out to the range before work. Finally starting to cool down here in the Phoenix valley.