Thread: Weaver 330 (s) adjustment

Default Weaver 330 (s) adjustment

I forget things when I don't write them down. I know this fact about myself and yet I continue to repeat my mistakes

Can somebody remind me what the MOA value is of the hash marks on top of the conical locking ring? I've seen different types of marks so I'll include a photo my scope.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Allen, I wish i had a better answer for you. The Hash marks are inscribed on the locking ring and probably don't return to the same point every time the ring is tightened. I can only suggest trying to zero the rifle at set distances (say 100, 300 and 600 yards) and maybe put a mark of nail polish at some fixed point on the tube or W&E plate that lines up with the screw driver slot on the top of the shaft.
    Haven't tried it so i really don't know how well this approach will work.

Regards,
    Jim

Jim,
    You are correct about the locking ring not necessarily returning to the same point (although pretty close). I presumed the hash marks on the ring were to provide a "relative" indication of how far the screw has been turned. In that regard it seems to work pretty well.

My first post was spurred by my intent to shoot the rifle on a day that I had access to 300 and 600 yard distances. Since it was zeroed at 200 I hoped to use the hash marks to dial the standard come-ups to get on paper. Since there wasn't any reply to my question, I made an extra trip to the 200 range and experimented. As noted in the second post, the hash marks represent 2 MOA.

Your suggestion about the nail polish is exactly what I have done. I used a toothpick to place a white dot in the slotted screw. On the W&E plate I put a green, yellow, and red dot for 200, 300, and 600 respectively. This should work well as the elevation change from 200 to 600 can be made in less than 360 degrees of rotation on the elevation screw.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I will ask my questions here..........how are the "turrets" on the 330 used to change windage and elevation? Over the last years I have managed to purchase several of these scopes but have yet to mount them. I have not tried turning the "screws" or lock rings.
    Thanks to the posters here, I now know that the marks are 2 MOA which is most helpful. I do have a
    Lyman Alaskan on my 03AForgery which I enjoy shooting here in NH and at Perry. Thanks in
    advance! George in NH

The conical locking rings are loosened first then the center shaft(s) with the screwdriver slots are turned to move the reticle. There are several styles of locking nuts at least some of which have little hash marks around the periphery. Also some variations of the Weaver 3/4" scopes have hash marks stamped on the W&E plate. The only problems with the system is that the locking rings may not always be returned to the same spot when tightened. Likewise the marks stamped on the W&E plate look like kind of coarse adjustments. I don't honestly know what they translate into in terms of MOA..

The 330C (M73B1) actually fielded on the M1903A4 snipers rifle had 1/4" click stop adjustments as did the 7.8x Unertl used on early USMC m1903A1 snipers. (Later Unertl production switched to 1/2 Minute clicks.)

Hope this helps.

Jim