Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

raymekta-
    I'm sure not upset. Far from it; am happy to have learned a lot from your post. This is one of the reasons I like forums like CSP. The proper nomenclature for the cartons and separators alone would have been great. But to find out that this was the last lot for the year and that the dot on the case meant a change, that is very interesting.
    Many Thanks!
    -Lemming

"I'm tryin' ta think, but nothin' happens!!!!"
    -Curly Howard

lemming

I didn't think you would get upset, but others will. Although, most of them have mellowed out lately, or have simply decided it was a waste of time to criticize me for making minor corrections to terminology, etc.

It's too bad that we don't have the records from Frankford Arsenal to tell exactly what the dot meant. They used a different number of dots, and also located on different places on the headstamp. They usually meant a minor change in the manufacturing process, such as eliminating one of the draw steps, adding a step, or trying a slightly different brass alloy. Things like that. The 1930s was a decade of experiments , including the testing of a new cartridge with the 150 grain bullet which became the M2.

BTW, I have no problem with calling the cartons by other names. Such as inserts, thingies, cardboards, etc. Just so we all know what we are talking about.

Ray
    Last edited by raymeketa; 08-31-2013 at 04:06.

I also don't mind corrections. For example, I usually referred to earlier M1903 stocks as having finger grooves - I was corrected that they are more properly called "grasping grooves" and I've used the term every since. Never hurts to learn something new!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis