Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Frankford Armory Bandoleers

Hello All- First post in this section. I purchased a garand and the seller threw in 2 bandoleers of ammunition. Have atteched a couple of photos. Headstamp is FA 39. Certainly corrosive. Wondering if it has any more (or less) value compared to more recent milsurp.

Thanks- Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Lemming

"I'm tryin' ta think, but nothin' happens!!!!"
    -Curly Howard

Maybe a collector might want it but IMHO it has nominal value. If it was mine I'd pull the bullets, save the powder and reload the components in my cases.

That ammo is Cal .30 M1. Loaded with the 173 grain BT FMJ. Powder is one of the older IMR, but you have no way of knowing which one. There is probably nothing at all wrong with the ammo, as is. It could be safely fired. It is corrosive so you have to do the normal cleaning, etc.

The collector value of the bandoleer is probably greater than the value of the components. Add in your time in breaking them down and reloading and it's questionable if doing all that work for 120 bullets and an unknown powder is worth it. But, it's your call.
    Last edited by raymeketa; 08-28-2013 at 08:23.

Personally, I think any ammunition made before WWII, especially Frankford Arsenal stuff, and in excellent condition with the cards and everything, is worth holding onto. If we lived within non-mailing distance, I'd certainly offer to take it off your hands!

Again, your call.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Well thank you for the comments. So, let's see...these won't fund a move to the Bahamas, it's work to salvage the components and Rick won't drive to Texas to pick them up. Guess I'll hang onto them.

LOL, I feel much like Rick about them; they are pre-WW2 and in very good shape. Mainly wanted to be sure they weren't something highly unusual.

Thanks again- Mike
    -Lemming

-Curly Howard

I bought a bandoleer of FA 1928 ammunition for a very good price about three years ago. The guy said he had a whole case and had tried shooting them and they weren't accurate. That fact was NOT a problem with me - they looked almost brand-new and still had the card in the pockets. Wish I had bought more.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Blog Entries

This site may give you an idea on value. I'd pick them up from you if you were closer.

http://www.cdvs.us/30-06-Ball-ammo-F...pack-P325.aspx
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    This site may give you an idea on value. I'd pick them up from you if you were closer.

http://www.cdvs.us/30-06-Ball-ammo-F...pack-P325.aspx
    Me, too!
    --C.S. Lewis

Took a couple of additional photos: one of the headstamp on the cartridges and another of the individual dividers in the cardboards. The latter is a detail I did not notice initially.
    Yeah, I'm keeping them.

-Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Lemming

-Curly Howard

Now, don't anyone go and get pi$$ed off at me but, the "cardboards" are called cartons, and the "dividers" are called separators. The dot in the headstamp is an ID indicating a change in the manufacturing process or a special lot of brass. Only Frankford Arsenal knew exactly what it meant. Ammunition Lot FA 2132 was the last lot of M1 made in 1939. The new M2 was in full scale production by then, and only a limited quantity of M1 was made in 1940 and 1941.

Ray
    Last edited by raymeketa; 08-31-2013 at 09:13.