Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How many Krags saw service in the Spanish American War?

I have always assumed that every Krag the Army had was in service during the Spanish American War, and that most of them saw service in Cuba, Puerto Rico or the Philippines during the Spanish War. I was bored so did a rough estimate to see whether this is a reasonable assumption.

Carbines

Number of 1896 carbines 22,493

Cavalry Units in action or overseas
    1st, 2nd, 3rd,4th,6th, 9th, 10th plus 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry

roughly 8 regiments, 8,000 carbines, so chances are better than 1 in 3 that a Carbine saw action.

Rifles

1892 and 1896 rifles 86,459 (this number may be off)

Infantry Units in action or overseas
    2nd, 3rd, 4th,6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th,

21 units, roughly 21,000 rifles. Then there were artillery units and miscellaneous staff and logistic troops. So chances are a little less than one in four a random rifle saw overseas service.

There were a couple U.S. Volunteer Infantry units that went to PR and the Phllpipines. I left them out of the count, not knowing if they were issued Krags.

I guess my takeaway on this is that we had enough Krags in the spring of 1898 for every front-line soldier in Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Philippines. Those soldiers spent enough time in camp in Florida, any halfway decent logistics system would have been able to issue the weapons and ammunition. And they had plenty of time to train. The units started assembling in April and didn't embark until mid-June.

Everything I've read about the SAW indicates that logistics and supply were the weak points in the US military of 1898. More later.

jn

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    I have always assumed that every Krag the Army had was in service during the Spanish American War, and that most of them saw service in Cuba, Puerto Rico or the Philippines during the Spanish War. I was bored so did a rough estimate to see whether this is a reasonable assumption.

Carbines

Number of 1896 carbines 22,493

Cavalry Units in action or overseas
    1st, 2nd, 3rd,4th,6th, 9th, 10th plus 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry

roughly 8 regiments, 8,000 carbines, so chances are better than 1 in 3 that a Carbine saw action.

Rifles

1892 and 1896 rifles 86,459 (this number may be off)

Infantry Units in action or overseas
    2nd, 3rd, 4th,6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th,

21 units, roughly 21,000 rifles. Then there were artillery units and miscellaneous staff and logistic troops. So chances are a little less than one in four a random rifle saw overseas service.

There were a couple U.S. Volunteer Infantry units that went to PR and the Phllpipines. I left them out of the count, not knowing if they were issued Krags.

I guess my takeaway on this is that we had enough Krags in the spring of 1898 for every front-line soldier in Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Philippines. Those soldiers spent enough time in camp in Florida, any halfway decent logistics system would have been able to issue the weapons and ammunition. And they had plenty of time to train. The units started assembling in April and didn't embark until mid-June.

Everything I've read about the SAW indicates that logistics and supply were the weak points in the US military of 1898. More later.

jn
    I seem to recall reading the 8th and 10th Ohio Volunteers carried Trapdoors. I'll try to find my sources on one of my hard drives so that it definitely rules them out of your calculation.

Culpeper

CJ, those were all US Infantry regiments. I left out the US Volunteer units as well as the state units. I do wonder if the US Volunteer infantry units got Krags the way the 1st, and I believe the 3rd U.S. Volunteer Cavalry got them. I think I'll go over the unit histories and action reports and see which units saw combat.

It's a good thing we didn't go into the Great War with the system that was in place in 1898!

jn

4. Default

Why skip the 7th Cavalry?

The first 3 volunteer cavalry regiments had Krags as did the Ohio volunteer cavalry (trivia question: what state was the President from?).

http://www.spanamwar.com/Southdakotacav.htm

3rd vol cav dude. Krag carbine.

Well, we know the first 98s into the Pacific were issued to troops on their way to China. So that leaves most all prior Krag actions in the Phils done with 92s and 96s
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

6. Default

CJ, those were all US Infantry regiments. I left out the US Volunteer units as well as the state units. I do wonder if the US Volunteer infantry units got Krags the way the 1st, and I believe the 3rd U.S. Volunteer Cavalry got them. I think I'll go over the unit histories and action reports and see which units saw combat.
    Below for the some of the units armed before they were replaced by the U.S. volunteers.

It's a good thing we didn't go into the Great War with the system that was in place in 1898!
    We did. That part of the book is done.

1st TX: 1896
    4th IL: '98.
    2nd SC: '96
    1st NC: '98.
    161st IN: '98.
    49th IA: '96.
    2nd LA: '98.
    3rd NE: '96.
    9th IL: '98.
    2nd IL: '98.
    4th VA: '98.
    6th MO: '98.

7th corps turned in their altered muzzle stuffers for Krags at Savannah before heading for Cuba. I didn't list two battalions of engineers ('98s) and artillery ('96). 4,280 '96s and 9,200 '98s.

November 22nd to 28th of 1898.

Unit issue isn't in the book. It's too big even thus.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 08-22-2013 at 03:23.

So some National Guard units received the Krag BEFORE the Spanish-American War? I was doing some research on a M1903 owned by a prominent Montana pioneer and I found that the Montana NG didn't receive Krags until after the war. I believe this was true for the Washington [State] NG, as well.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by 5MadFarmers View Post
    Why skip the 7th Cavalry?

The first 3 volunteer cavalry regiments had Krags as did the Ohio volunteer cavalry (trivia question: what state was the President from?).

http://www.spanamwar.com/Southdakotacav.htm

3rd vol cav dude. Krag carbine.
    The 7th spent the war posted on the Mexican border. They did go to Cuba in '99 as part of the occupation. And they were in the Philippines from 1904 to '07 - got a Presidential Unit Citation for action on Luzon. They may have had Krags on their first tour there.

The US Volunteers, the 1st of course every one knows about. The Nevada Unit - 2nd U.S. Volunteers split up. The favored few went as far as Georgia, whikle the left-behinds were sent to the Philippines and actually saw action. The Third U.S. Volunteer Cav got as far as Camp Thomas and mustered out in the fall of '98. Presumably they all turned in their carbines.

McKinley's brother was the go-to guy if you wanted an Army contract during the war. He set up the deals that provided the troops with leaky ships, rancid beef, wormy biscuits and itchy wool uniforms.

I hadn't known that so many state units got Krags. Most of them were in the occupation, I think. The state units that saw combat, all the ones I've been able to read about anyway, went into action with trapdoors..

I've been thinking about taking a trip to Cuba and see the fighting ground myself. Or what's left of it.

jn

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    So some National Guard units received the Krag BEFORE the Spanish-American War? I was doing some research on a M1903 owned by a prominent Montana pioneer and I found that the Montana NG didn't receive Krags until after the war. I believe this was true for the Washington [State] NG, as well.
    No, as State units (they weren't legally "National Guard" until 1916 - yes I know that term was used before that but it was legal as of 1916) they didn't. When called to federal service they did. Hence the late 1898 date - they were in federal service with the 7th Corps. When replaced by "U.S. Volunteer Regiments" they reverted to State control and the Krags were turned in.

They also weren't legally "State Militia called to Federal Service" either. Militia couldn't serve overseas in 1898. They were "permitted" to not be in the Militia when they "volunteered" for federal service.

Laws are strange things - especially when lip service is paid to them.

Trivia question: how many National Guard units served in WW1?

None.

10. Default

The 7th spent the war posted on the Mexican border.
    Forwarded to other units then? 7th Cavalry officers were at both Santiago and other battles and were given brevet promotions for their actions there. I'm aware that regulars were released from their units, promoted to higher "volunteer" ranks, and serviced as the command structure in those units. That's not what I'm going on about as the promotions aren't for the volunteer units - they're listed as 7th Cavalry.

I've been thinking about taking a trip to Cuba and see the fighting ground myself. Or what's left of it.

jn
    Going to wait for the bearded one to expire first?
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 08-23-2013 at 10:22.