Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default No longer semi auto?

Can a standard carbine gas piston be removed and a plug installed to make the carbine a single shot weapon ? Will this cause any damage to any part of the carbine ? Is there a plug to fit the gas piston threads ? Thanks for any info or help.

Why ruin a good carbine when you can just load one round at a time? Better to ask a Good Qualified gun smith like DGR or Chuckindenver. Reason beign that if you do a BUBBA JOB you might get a face full of slide in your kisser. Be safe
    AIM TRUE, YOU MIGHT HIT THE TARGET:

I simply cut enough off the rear end of a gas piston so that there wasn't enough "throw" to engage the end of the slide. That effectively made it into a straight pull bolt action.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike R. View Post
    Can a standard carbine gas piston be removed and a plug installed to make the carbine a single shot weapon ? Will this cause any damage to any part of the carbine ? Is there a plug to fit the gas piston threads ? Thanks for any info or help.
    I must ask, why would you do that?

5. Default

I would do this because the state in which I live is probably going to pass a law making my semi auto M1 carbine an "assault rifle" and require me to get a permit to own it.

6. Default

Two choices:
    1. Vote the incumbents out, or
    2. Move
    For what it's worth; merely changing a part to make an semi-auto a single shot won't change the ability for someone to change it back. Just like an M2 carbine without the critcal components is still a full-auto rifle.
    My thoughts.

Tizzi88 could be correct. It will depend how the law is written and if there is a grandfather clause.

Or you could just say "no"

Don't think you can get a permit, wait till the law is passed and see what happens. See what the description will be, maybe a bullet button will suffice. Build a bullet button design and become well off.

If your state classifies the M1 Carbine as an "assault weapon" than making it a single shot will not do anything. It is still an M1 Carbine and it can be fixed to semi auto again. If you need a permit than just get one that is if they pass the law.
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain