1. Default RIA/SA What have I got ?

RIA 1903, SN 354860, SA 12-26 Barrel, 2 bolt stock, cartouche is ICC over RIA (very clear) and a very faint WGS (?) in a box. Bolt electric pencil engraved with rifle SN - no other markings on bolt that I can see except for maybe a punchmark under root of bolt handle. Smooth butt plate, with trapdoor. Excellent bore (I don't have gauges)

Is this one of the RIA recievers sent to SA for finish? What is the value?

Thanks

The serial number is a little "low" to give it a certain chance it was one of those sent to Springfield as a "bare" receiver. Supposedly, that started at roughly 375,000 or so. Is the etched serial number on the bolt handle (late four digits) or on the bolt body (entire serial number). If the former, it may be a Greek return; if the latter, possible (depending on other features being present) a USMC rifle. Did you look on all sides of the safety lug (located about halfway up the bolt body)?

The ICC/RIA is a rebuild/inspection stamp from Rock Island from the 1920s. The "WGS" may be a WJS, which is a Springfield inspection stamp dating from about 1918-1921.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

3. Default RIA/SA

Rick - it is the full serial number on the bolt body (top). It is not a Greek return (I've had them and I know the difference).
    It is not the USMC rear sight or front sight and it is a smooth, not stippled, butt plate. (Haven't had the chance t0 check on bolt locking lugs, but didn't see anythiong when I checked earlier - but I could have missed something)

Any idea of value?

Thanks

4. Default RIA/SA

Rick - Just re-checked - there is a J6 on top of bolt handle where it joins bolt body. Stock is in excellent condition (no dings, dents, etc.)

Value?
    Thanks.

A J6-marked bolt would date to the early 1920s and would be consistent with an overhaul on your rifles dating to about the same time.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by coonhound View Post
    RIA 1903, SN 354860, SA 12-26 Barrel, 2 bolt stock, cartouche is ICC over RIA (very clear) and a very faint WGS (?) in a box. Bolt electric pencil engraved with rifle SN - no other markings on bolt that I can see except for maybe a punchmark under root of bolt handle. Smooth butt plate, with trapdoor. Excellent bore (I don't have gauges)

Is this one of the RIA recievers sent to SA for finish? What is the value?

Thanks
    I concur with Rick the Librarian. Your rifle is not likely one of those sent from RIA to SA for finishing.

Your description indicates that you may have a USMC-issue rifle. Does your rifle's receiver have a Hatcher Hole? Please advise.

Thanks!

J.B.

7. Default RIA/SA

Yes, Mr. Beard, there is a Hatcher hole. Other than bolt being etched with rifle (full 6 digit) serial number, no other USMC traits such as stippled butt plate, rear or front sight, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by coonhound View Post
    Yes, Mr. Beard, there is a Hatcher hole. Other than bolt being etched with rifle (full 6 digit) serial number, no other USMC traits such as stippled butt plate, rear or front sight, etc.
    I'd bet that, if you posted some good pictures, I could find a bunch of USMC traits. Just my thoughts.

J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    I'd bet that, if you posted some good pictures, I could find a bunch of USMC traits. Just my thoughts.

J.B.

I bet you could too !! Come on coonhound, show us some pics. We would be very interested in seeing what you have.

Emri