Thread: Lyman Alaskan A/B series scopes

1. Default Lyman Alaskan A/B series scopes

Can anyone educate me on these scopes. Anecdotal evidence is that B series were govt issue. Some suggest A series were also. Why would lyman create a new serial number series for commercial scopes when the current running serial numbers worked all through the 40's and 50"s to the end of the alaskans. The creation of a letter series seems to indicate a customer with the cash to cause the vendor to jump in to slightly different, slightly most costly serial blocks for a specific purpose. Were any of the scopes used by other nations, military support etc.?

not an expert, and cant comment on the scopes foreign use, but historically the concensus is the B series was considered a USGI replacement. The scopes with the A prefix were never considered USGI, but I had two "A"s in my collection which needed internal work and when dismantled, every part was stamped with the same type 7-digit drawing numbers as on the M82 scopes. Also I talked to an old timer who bought a surplus lot of USGI scopes (probably in the 1970's) in the white VCI paper. Most were B series, but there were also some A series in there too, wrapped/packed just as the other scopes were.
    Senich never gets too deep into these A & B series scopes, but since hearing the above story, I would say both were used as replacements...with the B's getting the most triggertime..

3. Default

"A" series as a block would indicate a purpose to me for the prefix vice a commercial serial number witout. Are there commercial scopes internally numbered parts ala the M81's?