Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default ?'s about a 6.7 million Inland

Hi guys

I recently located a 6.7 Inland which I stuck on lay away at a local store. I have some questions about a few parts though as I've been out of carbines for a while.

The rifle is a 6.7 million, with a 12-44 barrel. The rifle appears to be original finish, and has the "1" in "M1"hand stamped.. It looks "text book" correct, except for a few parts, which while correct looking are throwing me off..

The type 3 band is unmarked from what I see. The "p" proof is in front of the type 3 band, and appears burnished, but I dont see any markings on the band itself. The rear sight (a milled adjustable) doesn't have any markings on it, neither does the front sight (no "N" or other markings) that I see.

The stock is an Inland M2 stock as well. It is marked in the sling well "HI" and has the large Inland wheel on the right side, but the M2 cut is present and the stock is a potbelly.

Any ideas? I know it is hard without seeing the rifle, but any help is appreciated.

Greg
    Last edited by Ls6man; 08-10-2013 at 01:16.

If the barrel band has been change if it's unmarked and it seems that it has, then the front sight most likely has been too. A correct milled type 2 rear sight should be marked PI or HI. While your barrel may be original ( first in the bin and last one out.) it could also be a replacement. Your serial number would date to about Feb.1945 and by that time barrel and receiver out put were in the same time frame so one who think a 1-45 or 2-45 barrel would be correct.

3. Default

Hey guys

I went back and took a few more pics (not as good as I would have hoped..need a new camera..lol) and looked at a few more things..

The rifle is actually in the 6,670,xxx range

The stock is NOT a pot belly..it is Inland type 3 and has the M2 cut though. The stock is marked "HI" in the sling well and has the large Inland ordnance wheel.

The band IS marked "KI" but it is faint and harder to see...

The front sight doesn't appear to be marked that I could see. It appears to milled

The rear sight is also milled and I couldn't see any markings on it either. It is correctly staked though.

The rest of the internals are correct.

The rifle is definitely a "hand stamp"

The barrel band being marked KI would indicate it's original. The front sight should be marked N or R. It looks like a typical Niedner made sight which is correct for Inland. Look behind the blade for a faint marking. But I do not believe the rear sight is original to your carbine. There were times during 1945 that Inlands production was higher then their contractors could produce adjustable rear sights and they would use the old flip sight till new shipments of the adjustable sights would come in. I am thinking that your rear sight is a replacement for an flip sight. If your stock is not a pot belly and the cut for the M2 selector appears to be factory done it's a type 4 stock. The barrel channel in the front should be an inch longer then the type 3 stock so if it's 4 inches + it is a type 4 stock.
    Last edited by Tuna; 08-11-2013 at 01:37.

5. Default

Just curious but couldnt the rear sight just be a part which just wasn't stamped..for whatever reason? I guess is it better to leave it alone or replace it with a part marked "PI"? I will also look at the stock channel and see what the measurement is.

It could be as far as the rear sight but something is not quite right with it to me. I have seen this type sight before and it was not on an Inland. I just cannot remember what it is about this unmarked sight.

7. Default

I may be wrong but the hand guard appears to be a very early wide groove type .

Hand guard is early 2 rivet deep grove

And like many of the early ones it's cracking. The hand guard is not right for this carbine. Should be a type 3 four rivet hand guard.

10. Default

It could be a FILO piece...