Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Leemmie see.
    One '98 rifle
    2 '99 carbines
    1 Norwegian "short" rifle
    four[?] Danes, include reblued target and a carbine/short half stock rifle.
    And under the bed.....nahh, I ain't looking there!
    Paul

[anyone have access to "reasonably' priced 8x58DR?]

Dang forgot to add that Norwegian rifle that walked up to my table at the Houston Gun Collectors Show year before last.
    With some parts, thanks, Dennis.
    [I really need a proper inventory]
    Paul

This makes 3 for me. This is my first more-or-less "as-issued." I say more-or-less 'cause I think it is not all original - the handguaRd looks like a replacement and I'm suspicious of it having an oiler but no cleaning rod. And no front swivel??

Plus side, the stock looks like it was used for drill, with darkening of the wood above the first barrel band.

jn

Quote Originally Posted by CJCulpeper View Post
    Welcome to my world. I bought my 1896 (not model 1896) from an antique shop in Maryland around 2005 but found the chamber had been bored out for thirty ought six blanks. Well, of course I needed a replacement to shoot and now I have SIXteen. However I think I might be forgetting one or two from my count. Have to get back to the Union for good and figure it all out.

Culpeper
    This might come as a surprise to some people, but you have me beat!

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Me too.

I don't have one drilled out for .30-06 either.

Another will be arriving next week. Writing the book has resulted in me opening a dog pound. The new one is a poodle. Tapped receiver and M-1903 barrel mounted in firewood. Could be .30-06 - we'll see. "Why buy that?" Interesting parts. Cheaper to buy that gun than it is to buy the parts sitting in it. The dog pound. Between the howling of the dogs and the hammering of the micro-elves I don't get any sleep.

Nice rifle Jon. That one won't howl at night.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 08-11-2013 at 02:35.

Geeze... I'm such a light weight! All I have is my 1898 rifle and my 1898 sporter... I gotta get busy and catch up to the rest of you all.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Yep you have me surpised. However I think your total firearm count would be fairly high. Maybe? Don't answer but if the number iis 70+ you may have me beat. Geez, I was spending money like a drunk sailor on liberty. Have not bought any mil-spec antiques in two years but, man, I sure want to do so ever other day. Wish I was Bill Gates rich.

Being over in Iraq and Afghanistan for eight years was good but it will be a pain when it is over and I have to sober up and live on forty hours a week.

Culpeper

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    Geeze... I'm such a light weight! All I have is my 1898 rifle and my 1898 sporter... I gotta get busy and catch up to the rest of you all.
    You'd need a time machine!!! I am NOT well-to-do, financially, by ANY measure of the word. Just been at it a LONG time, studied voraciously, and stayed VERY focused. There are a lot of skipped lunches (particularly at gun shows) and vacations not taken, hiding in my lock-ups! Not complaining in the least, just being clear.

I can agree with you, Dick. I'm comfortable, being retired, but if I want something nice, I usually have to sacrifice something else I have.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

At some point last year I had seven Krags. I am happily down to 4 right now, an 1892/96 one very nice 1898 and an 1898 carbine in 1899 clothing.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.