Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pictures of the new Krag

I picked it up Wednesday from Doc's Gun Barn and dragged it into my lair. Here are some pictures. The bore is shiny and I can see plenty of rifling. It came with an oiler buy no cleaning rod. I don't think I've seen a better Krag in the wild ..krag_8..jpgkrag_7..jpgkrag_13..jpgkrag_12..jpgkrag_3..jpg

and here's a few more

Crap! Won't insert any more!

jn

and a few more

krag_6..jpgkrag_9..jpgkrag_10..jpgkrag-_1..jpgkrag_2..jpg

It looks like a slight mismatch between the stock and handguard, tho you can't see it in the photo. The stock has a slick surface oil finish while the 'guard seems to be duller, less oil. I'm not certain if the stock was lightly sanded at some time, or not. Most of the metal edges are sharp and un-dinged, and the only boogered screw slot I saw was on the sight.

Let's see how it shoots!

jn

jn

A stacking swivel and the three-piece cleaning rod . . . . . and you're "good-to-go"! --Jim

Nice rifle!
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

That's good ... for a start! Now, you need an 1896 rifle, an 1892/96, a 1899 carbine ....
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 08-09-2013 at 02:36.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Having a Krag follow you home from time to time is lot less fatiguing than racing bicycles Jon.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Sweet looking ride, Jon!!! Now - Go to the range!!!

I did start out wanting a "sample" Krag for my collection. I now have SIX!! The Lay's potato chip ad comes to mind!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

9. Default

Welcome to my world. I bought my 1896 (not model 1896) from an antique shop in Maryland around 2005 but found the chamber had been bored out for thirty ought six blanks. Well, of course I needed a replacement to shoot and now I have SIXteen. However I think I might be forgetting one or two from my count. Have to get back to the Union for good and figure it all out.

Jon, you have a right purty Krag. When is the range report?

Culpeper
    Last edited by CJCulpeper; 08-11-2013 at 07:54.

Range report coming. I think I'll try it with jacketed bullets first. If those throw wild, then on to boolits.

jn