Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Unnumbered Springfields?

I've got a rifle I was told is an Enfield, but I believe it to be a Springfield based on the receiver configuration. My basis for that is the photo of the underside of the forward portion of the receiver. The shape is identical to the numbered (134xxxx) Springfield I have. As you can tell from the photos, there are "bursting bomb" cartouches all over it, but no serial numbers. The stock appears to have been "sporterized" and the front site blade removed. The barrel and receiver appear to be an original pair, but there is no serial number from which to start a proper search.

Which would be the best place to start looking for information aside from posting the photos I have here?

I can provide additional photos if it would be helpful. Any insight on where to look for answers would be greatly appreciated.

-Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

Here are a few additional photos for reference...
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is a 1917 Enfield. The marks on the receiver are under the scope block.

I agree - a M1917 Enfield.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

5. Default

Thanks for pointing out the dis-assembly step I missed musketshooter. Once I took off the forward scope mount, I found the following.

U.S.
    model of 1917
    Remington
    234xxx

Now to get a good valuation of it. I wish the stock on my Springfield was in similar shape.

Thanks again for your replies and assistance.

Looks like some one was either trying to replicate the ill fated M1918 Sniper rifle or maybe just build a sporter.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../model1918.jpg

7. Default

I'd go with the latter on that jg although it could be either. It sure does shoot nice and tight though.

If the end of the barrel has been cut off, which i think has been done in the sporterzation, value approx $250. If restorable without requiring a new barrel, perhaps $350, maybe a tiny bit more if the barrel is real clean.
    SWAGs only.

The rear sight "ears" are gone, so probably the lower end of 200-250

I have one almost identical to your rifle that is my back up hunting rifle. It was made from a correct original Eddystone and while it is a nice representative example of a 60's era sporterized military rifle it does make me cringe a little to think of what it would have been worth if they hadn't ground off the rear sight ears and drilled and tapped it for the scope mounts. Paid $175.00 for it.