1. Default What to look for in Decent 03A3

Newbie here. Years ago I had a sporterized 03A3 that was crazy accurate. Now I am interested in getting one in original condition. Since my tastes have matured, I want a shooter that has collector appeal as well. What should I look for as far as stamps, etc. I have no problem with the post WWII refurbished ones, so not looking for one in wartime configuration. Thanks.

The more original, the more collector appeal. Unless price is an issue, go for the original.

Bigskybound,
    If you are serious about the collector details, then I suggest picking up some books and doing some reading. There are really too many details to even attempt a description here. If you search on this forum you will find multiple threads about which books are the favorites, and which to avoid.

If you mostly want a shooter that looks pretty good to the casual observer then the BIG eye catchers are:
    1. Stamped sheet metal A3 parts on an 1903 or vice versa
    2. heavily sanded stock and any finish other than natural oils like boiled linseed or tung oil are a give away.
    3. A3 bolt parts on an older 1903 or vice versa
    4. "R" marked parts on a non-Remington rifle

If you are not familiar with the topics in 1-4 then you won't regret getting a book or two and studying.
    Good luck

Allen's right, Even when I'm shooting other calibers, I take one along and have it on my tailgate for everyone to drool over. Even though mine are all S/C 1940's vintage, most people call it a WW1 Springfield (I just smile and don't embarass them). Maybe one person in fifteen says "oh-a Smith Corona".

PS, Once you have a nice, blued, sporterized version, it may be your favorite to shoot. That's what my first one was. I've taken many boar with it.
    Last edited by Tom; 08-06-2013 at 09:22.