Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Need additional opinions

Two pictures. Please tell me if you think this is the work of Springfield Armory or not.

It looks TIG welded to me... anyone else see that, or is it just me???

3. Default

You're correct. Good. I wanted a second opinion as it was beginning to disturb me. That barrel is going on a mock gun but it's currently mounted on an interesting receiver.

I'll break the two up with no worries.

Thanks.

+1 on NG.

5. Default

Back story. That barrel is attached to receiver 24110. It's carbine length but flat crowned. I guess you'll understand my taking a real good look before breaking them apart.

The gun had the M-1896 "lugged" rifle sight, now have 3, installed backwards.

The receiver will, when seen, be a cadet.
    The barrel will be, when seen, on the M-1892 carbine.

I don't know if I'll get either done in time and don't know, if I do, if I'll even use them. We'll see how they turn out.

I don't think it's TIG, unless it was done by not particularly skilled micro-elves. My guess would be a lousy silver-braze job with too much flux. What you could call a cold joint. Try hitting the ramp with a copper hammer. I bet it comes right off.

jn

Sounds like a couple fun projects.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Sounds like a couple fun projects.
    That cadet stock Gunderson had would have been helpful. 21163 is a curved stock M-1892 not having been altered. I'm shipping that to a stock duplicator and having it duplicated - minus the swivel cut in the butt. I'll add the band spring channel and hole. Viola - Cadet stock. The only hard part is the cleaning rod. An aftermarket three section one, welded together by micro-elves, will have to suffice.

The M-1892 carbine project presents many more difficulties. That's ok, we'll see how it comes out. I have an M-1892 rifle, altered, which somebody sliced off the end of. Pity as it was a very nice rifle. That, with this barrel on it, will become the carbine. With the obvious alterations, patching the stock to remove the curved butt, filling in the butt swivel cut, fabricating the front band, etc., it'll never be pretty. The receiver notch will also be a bummer. So it'll be ugly. That's the way it goes. This barrel will fit right in. An M-1892 assembled by micro-elves and their wood shop.

Micro-elves in the woodshop is ok, but never, ever, let them do the loading! I've tried to explain to them time and time again, but they just don't get it. I always have to work their loads down!
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

So that was yer problem at Perry Bob? The Micro-Elves buggered up your ammo to the point that you smoked me in the Vintage? Stupid elves!!!