Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 96 carbine, posted below---

Took it apart, every thing was varnish tight, and its all over the metal. Now inth stock lightening cuts I found the following, 1902 CHAS. H THROP BIG RAPIDS MICH Now I have read of instances where troops were given the choice to purchase their issue carbine on discharge (not the revolver, in one case).
    Looks like I have some research to do, I may just keep this sucker after all!
    Any suggestions on how to researh this guy, other then just Google?
    Last edited by dave; 08-05-2013 at 02:20.

I'd try the LDS website - they don't only list Mormons. Or, ancestry.com, etc.

Charles H. Throp - born Illinois, 1872, Father: Samuel, Mother: Clara (Hills), was in the insurance business, died 3-22-1913, in Big Rapids MI. Would have been 30 when marked gun.

Well I,ll be! Thanks for that. No military connection then, but I wonder how he got the rifle. Were they being sold by the Gov. that early? Hmmm.

You're welcome. Didn't say there was no military connection (though I did not see any such - but then, I wouldn't have expected to, where I looked). Just jotted down what I found with a 45 second visit to the LDS "FamilySearch" website. Just wanted to illustrate a bit of what is out there, if you dig a little. FWIW, I do not believe they were being sold off to the general public in 1902 - there has to be more to the story. Obviously, he died young (41). Why?
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 08-06-2013 at 06:29.

Big Rapids is in the lower peninsula a long day's ride north of Grand Rapids. In those days it would have been in the heart of the second growth mess left after the Michigan white pine forest was clearcut. I can imagine it was chock full of deer, with all that forage, all that cover and most of the people gone. Great time and place to have one of those new Krags.

jn

I am, digging further, looking for an obit. Several places in Big Rapids, history sociaties, news papers. Making a list of phone numbers for now.
    Last edited by dave; 08-06-2013 at 08:49.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    . Obviously, he died young (41). Why?
    Cause of death is listed.

http://cdm16317.contentdm.oclc.org/c...oll7/id/748233

9. Default

I did a search for "thro" and found these two gentlemen. I guess your guy did not go to war.

http://www.mifamilyhistory.org/spanam/sawveterans.aspx

Surname Given Rank Place County Unit
    THROOP John D. Private St. Louis Gratiot 35th Michigan Volunteers Company Unassigned
    THROOP William E. Corporal Adrian Lenawee 35th Michigan Volunteers Company D

Quote Originally Posted by 5MadFarmers View Post
    Hey, I only went so far! I'm sure you can provide his second-grade report card, and favorite food! Get back to the book! [BIG GRIN]