Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm building an AR15

Hybrid View

1. Default I'm building an AR15

So I've decided to build an ar15 and my head is spinning looking at all the options for parts. Could someone give me some advice on choosing parts and warn me about mix matching parts? I don't want to buy inferior parts or get a combination that doesn't work together.
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/531748_433726156709621_535544258_n.jpg

2. Default

If it's your first build, I wouldn't recommend getting too fancy...stay with something close to a "stock" rifle, either an A2 rifle with 20" barrel, or one of the M4 clones with a 16" barrel and folding stock. You might choose to upgrade some of the furniture a bit, but building something exotic the first time out might prove a bit frustrating.

You'll get a LOT of opinions on what manufacturers to choose from, everyone has their favorites. That being said, I've been very happy with Palmetto State Armory and AIM Surplus as my main "suppliers." PSA carries great quality stuff and very reasonable prices (especially their sale prices, they've had some very reasonable kits recently, and their "blemished" items are usually a steal), although their shipping can be frustratingly slow (expect to wait a month, and you'll likely be pleasantly surprised after about 2-3 weeks). AIM carries a few different brands, from high end to mid-level gear, but the brands they carry are all good quality, and they stand by their products.

I've got a limited amount of experience myself...4 complete builds and 5 more rifles in progress...but I've been very happy with these two companies so far.

3. Default

I was actually considering PSA as one supplier. Most becauee they are owned and operated inSC and I believe in supporti g local business
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/531748_433726156709621_535544258_n.jpg

I should add the chrome moly barrels I've used are 4150. I should also state to be fair it takes a little longer to clean one than chrome lined. If your just building a plinker go chrome lined. If you want a benchrest gun chrome moly, guisselle trigger, good free float tube (this recipe is pricey) Good luck have a blast

You will get lots of opinions. I've built many rifles for myself and others. PSA is a good supplier and should do you well. I'll add that STAG arms has always impressed me with their internals. As far as barrells my chrome moly barrels are more accurate than chrome lined, plus my rifles are not subjected to harsh environments like military chrome lines barrells, chrome lined has a higher round count life generally but are a little more money.....just food for thought on barrells. AR rifles are like leggos for adults the combinations are endless.

Rock River makes & sells as good as made upper & lower receivers...... John H. of WhiteOak Precision in Illinois, bases his completion rifles on them & he is widely regarded to be the very best AR service rifle gunsmith/match rifle builder in the USA...........Last I knew John was also building M4 clones too on the same..........The prospect of saving $10.00 or $20.00 buying some off brand parts in building a rifle I might need to feed my family, or even to defend them never seemed to make good sense..............

Kreiger, Wilson, & a bunch of others too all make exc. quality barrels............... the caliber, rate of barrel twist & length of your barrel you need is based on what you intend to do with it.

The sliding adjustable stocks are nice & the CAR15/M4 clones are very handy to use getting in & out of vehicles/ buildings & to hunt with.................

hope this helps.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by da gimp View Post
    Rock River makes & sells as good as made upper & lower receivers...... John H. of WhiteOak Precision in Illinois, bases his completion rifles on them & he is widely regarded to be the very best AR service rifle gunsmith/match rifle builder in the USA...........Last I knew John was also building M4 clones too on the same..........The prospect of saving $10.00 or $20.00 buying some off brand parts in building a rifle I might need to feed my family, or even to defend them never seemed to make good sense..............
    Kreiger, Wilson, & a bunch of others too all make exc. quality barrels............... the caliber, rate of barrel twist & length of your barrel you need is based on what you intend to do with it.
    The sliding adjustable stocks are nice & the CAR15/M4 clones are very handy to use getting in & out of vehicles/ buildings & to hunt with.................hope this helps.
    Sage advice . Bargain parts can save you money but in the end: do you own a pile of bargain parts or do you own a weapon that is absolutely right as rain and can depend on with no alibi.
    Buy the best quality parts you can find . Buy right once.

8. Default

I just put together a Palmetto lower and their lower kit together this week. 20 minutes tops. functions as advertised.

The only thing I do not like are the Rock River two stage trigger. The center stem is not built heavy enough and I've seen three broken off. One low mileage and the other two had decent round counts before trigger failed. Other than that RR does make a very fine rifle. We just R&D'ed a Windham Arms AR it shot 1.25 @ 100 average with 55 grain commercial and right at 1 inch groups with 64 grain Winchester. The fit and finish was good. Gas key was stacked very well, I would buy one.

As far as the OP's question I guess we should know exactly what you want to do with it. Plinker advice will be different then prepper gun.
    Last edited by p246; 08-23-2013 at 06:45. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    The only thing I do not like are the Rock River two stage trigger. The center stem is not built heavy enough and I've seen three broken off. One low mileage and the other two had decent round counts before trigger failed. Other than that RR does make a very fine rifle. We just R&D'ed a Windham Arms AR it shot 1.25 @ 100 average with 55 grain commercial and right at 1 inch groups with 64 grain Winchester. The fit and finish was good. Gas key was stacked very well, I would buy one.

As far as the OP's question I guess we should know exactly what you want to do with it. Plinker advice will be different then prepper gun.
    I've got a couple of RR's and haven't had any problems. I guess I'm used to a two stage trigger.