Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    I would love to shoot at 600 or 1000 yards. I would love to see how well I could shoot my 1898 Krag at 1000. As for the Garand, I would still shoot M2 Ball ammo... good enough for the military at 1000 yards is good enough for me!

Unfortunately, my long-range options are limited here in the greater Detroit area. I think there's a range with a 300 yard distance, but it's private. There are a few 200 yard ranges (also private) that I could go to with an invitation.
    M2 Ball is not recommended at 600, much less 1000 on a national match course.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Well, Washtenaw is 200 yards. I've shot there in a Cast Bullet match. DSC is also 200. Grayling is just too far. Camp Perry is within reach, but I didn't know civilians could shoot there when it's not a match. If you're in Toledo, I would be honored to shoot with you... I live in Ypsilanti (about 5 minutes from Washtenaw, actually)! I could shoot my Krag at long distances... my loads are the standard US 30 caliber round (220 gr over 40.0 grains of 4350)... which should reach 1000 yards with no problems.

Bud......Washtenaw ABSOLUTELY has a full National Match Range.....I've shot it! If you want to shoot 600, send me a PM......my local club in dinky little Gibsonburg, OH has a full 2-3-6 range.

What's visible from the bench positions isn't all of it Paul. Walk to the end of the shelter and take a look to your right. All that field is range! That's why I was encouraging you and your brother in law to get involved there, for practice.

With 2520 being a ball powder, many of which I have found to be hard to ignite, I'd use a CCI mil-spec primer or a magnum primer to light it. Maybe then you wouldn't have the bad experiences others have related with the powder. They may have tried that too, I don't know, but I do know the magnum primer is often needed when you get into the slower ball powders like H414/760 or Accurate's 2700. Start your load development using a magnum primer, and don't dwell on the bad others have reported. It'll work better for you. According to CCI's website, the initiator mix in their #34 primers is optimized for ball/spherical powders. Haven't tried them vs magnum primers, so I'm just repeating their advertising. It does say use the same data as CCI magnum primers.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 08-13-2013 at 01:16.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson