Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Camp Perry Pictures

Here's a few from the National Vintage Rifle Match at Camp Perry today! Enjoy

Here's Mark Daiute, Bob - Madsenshooter, Fred, and myself.

Me with my Brother-in-law Allen Jencks (he shot a Mosin Nagant).

My 1898 Rifle and my loads.

Madsenshooter firing in the "Rapid Fire" phase.

Madsenshooter firing in the "Offhand" phase.

Allen scoring for my relay.

Last edited by psteinmayer; 08-02-2013 at 06:55.

Nice pix & congrats to all of you guys for honoring the Krag!

That looks like great fun, and congratulations to you all!

I WILL be there next year!

4. Default

Great pics. Looks like you had a great time.

5. Default

Great pics. I can hear the spiteful crack of those Krags and smell the burnt powder from here!

Blog Entries

I waited to see you two (Fred and Mark) come back from pit detail but missed you both. Stood near the t-shirt issue tent hoping to get a glimpse of either of you but I missed the boat again. Any way maybe I'll have better luck next year. By then I'll have my d--n cataracts out and will be able to see again.
    So until next year just remember" Underneath our starry flag we'll pacify them targets with a KRAG".
    P.S. I really was happy to meet Fred and Mark and was dissapointed I didn't meet Bob and Paul.

Sorry I missed you too... We'll meet next year, soldierofhistory! We had a great time, and next year will be even better. Maybe we'll get a whole row of Krag shooters... wouldn't that be awesome!

Incidentally, it was great meeting Fred and Mark. I've been talking to Mark here on the forum for a long time now... so it's nice to finally put a name with a face!

It was fun, that's for sure. I did better than I did last year, but still fell 6 points short of a medal thanks to a couple 5s when I flinched in standing, and putting one shot in some other shooter's target during rapid fire. 96 slow fire prone, 75 rapid fire prone, 81 standing, total 252-1X. About middle of the pack again, and I know the rifle is better than that. My only miss was the crossfire. My one piece sling, actually the front part of a 1907 sling that's a little longer to fit a model 1917, is a bit short now that I have that leather jacket under my shooting coat. Camp Perry wasn't a good place to discover that. The modified Parashooter charger worked flawlessly, seriously I gotta get someone to make them out of plastic for me to sell. There was a left handed fellow from CA shooting an MAS 36 who said he'd much rather shoot his Krag. He liked the charger, probably would have given me $50 for it.

You know, some benevolent organization ought to provide a trophy for the high Krag shooter, one named after someone significant in the rifles manufacture or adoption, a Medal of Honor winner who used one, or a collector-type worthy of such a memorial. Sam Porter is out, they already have a Porter Trophy. Not a trophy to be brought home, something like the John C. Garand trophy, but just for Krag shooters. That's a hint to you KCA members. If you build it, folks will shoot for it!

Thanks for the pics Paul!
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 08-04-2013 at 07:59.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

In Whelen's book MISTER RIFLEMAN there is a photo of a black sergeant who was a very high scoring shooter with the Krag, back in the pre-WWI era. Maybe the award could be named for that sergeant.

We've all shot the wrong target, and we've all pulled one in offhand! For me the Krag is a hard gun to shoot offhand and I'm not sure if it is dwell time in a longer barrel or flinch time in a short, fat, elderly man, so to me that 81 is not to be ashamed of. Don't feel bad. That 95 in prone slow is a fine score. You using a 1902 peep or the buckhorn?
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 08-04-2013 at 05:37.

I can't see anything through the peep Griff, couldn't see a whole lot with the original slot. So, it got enlarged to .062" wide and deepened just a bit with a rounded bottom. More like a U notch. At that width I can see a sliver of light on each side of the front sight stud as I draw the blade down. Before next year I'm going to experiment with leveling the rear sight on the stud while keeping the front post up where I can see it better. I also temporarily enlarged the blade to .080 by putting a few wraps of aluminum tape on it then painting over the tape. That's a good suggestion for the trophy's name Griff, if we can find more about him and someone to donate said trophy to the CMP. Any other ideas from the rest of you?

Best part of the whole event was at the John C. Garand award ceremony. I stayed, since I had been randomly drawn to have my Krag inspected I was in the drawing for a presentation grade Garand. Some kid won it and his ear to ear grin was the highlight of the event. He started to walk off with it, I'd have ran!
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 08-04-2013 at 06:45.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson