Default Repairing a sling

Ok, I'm desperate!!!

As I was preparing for tomorrow Match at Camp Perry, and practicing with my 1898, the long strap on my 1907 sling tore in two! HELP... Can I sew the two pieces together to make it work temporarily? I don't have enough time to get it professionally repaired, or to buy another sling before tomorrow. Can I use the web sling off my Garand for the Krag in Vintage? That might be a temporary solution... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!
    Paul

If you can get, say, three sets of holes to overlap, use a rawhide bootlace. That should be plenty sturdy enough for a temporary repair.

How FORTUNATE you were to have it break NOW, rather than during one of your rapid strings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Default

Use the web.

CMP Games Rule 4.7.1.

Maury

When all else fails, read the rulebook -

4.7 Slings

Slings may be used to provide support for the prone, sitting or kneeling firing
    positions in CMP-recognized shooting events in accordance with these
    regulations:
    4.7.1 Standard U. S. Military Slings
    Slings used on all as-issued military rifles, except M1 Carbines or as-issued
    foreign military rifles, must be standard U.S. military issue M1907 leather, or
    M1 web slings
    or identical slings of commercial manufacture made of leather,
    web or synthetic material.
    4.7.2 Sling Configuration
    Military issue or commercial M1907 and M1 slings must conform to the
    original pattern with no modifications or additional hooks, claws, clips or
    clamps. Leather or web slings may be no wider than 1 3/8” and no thicker
    than 3/16”. Leather slings may have no more than two keepers no wider than
    7/8” each.
    4.7.3 Sling Attachment
    Slings must be attached directly to the front sling swivel; a hook may not be
    used to attach a M1907 pattern or M1 sling to the front sling swivel.

Is that the only 1907 sling you own? I must have a dozen or more including late issue and commercial types!

Yes, it's the only one... I purchased it at a gun show last February specifically for my 1898 Krag.

I like the bootlace idea Dick... going to try that... otherwise, I'll use the web sling off my Garand! Think I'll buy an extra web sling at the CMP after the Match (to use as a backup).

I'm thinking that I'm going to order a repro from Turners so next year, I won't have to worry about it!

Thanks very much everyone!!!
    Paul

Ok... I took Dick's advice and laced the halves together with a leather lace (removed from a docksider shoe). Worked great! I actually had to do it twice because I found that I couldn't feed the splice OR hook through the D-ring... so I had to unlace it, feed it through, and re-lace it. It's on there now and the sling is installed. I don't know how it's going to work out when I go to use it... but we'll just have to cross that bridge when I get there.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice. A picture will follow when I can take one and upload it!
    Paul

Always carry a pre-stretched spare. We (Navy Team)were issued two a year. One went on the rifle; the other was looped as a carrying strap on the shooting stool (before everyone had "carts"), so that by the time you needed it, it had been pre-stretched. One team mate used to hand spare slings from a hook in his garage, with a full ammo can on the bottom. After a week or so, he threw the spares into his stool.

To this day, I still carry a good 'ole web sling in my cart (yes, I have gone to the Dark Side!), and it will work on anything I shoot, even the Gruenig & Elmiger and Furter free rifles. I'll bet it's even long enough for a Brown Bess

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    Last edited by Bob S; 08-01-2013 at 09:18.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

Ok, an Update...

I found that the location of the break (where the long strap looped over the D-ring) made an affective adjustment difficult... so I tried using the Web sling method of just wrapping the sling around my arm, which I still couldn't get it long enough to do that. So, after all that, I shot without using the sling. Then, when I was putting the rifle back into my case, I noticed another break forming (a couple hole locations from the first break).

So, today, after the match, I went to the vender tents and purchased a new Turner repro sling! Next year... Medal for sure!!!
    Last edited by psteinmayer; 08-02-2013 at 06:40.