Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default M1903A1 evaluation. NM?

Just picked up this rifle and it has generated some debate over on the CMP forum. I would like to hear from folks here too. Points of debate include whether the rifle is a National Match and if the barrel is original. Any thoughts?

Looks good to me. It was likely rebuilt for the '39 or 40 matches. Ill check my SRS books for you.

No hits in my books, but came close!
    1378347 MANN 061632 MANN BBL
    1378354 MANN 040132 MANN BBL

No match on SRS.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Unless you're an advanced collector of Springfield's, Why don't you follow through with your first intent and sell the rifle. Chuck has an interest in it and I'll bet that you'll make a little extra money as well as make Chuck's day too!
    Last edited by Fred; 07-30-2013 at 07:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Unless you're an advanced collector of Springfield's, Why don't you follow through with your first intent and sell the rifle. Chuck has an interest in it and I'll bet that you'll make a little extra money as well as make Chuck's day too!
    My interest in keeping the rifle was initially based on its nice condition when I received it. The neat things I'm learning about it only makes me want to keep it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    No match on SRS.
    Thanks for the info Rick. I'm basically familiar with what SRS is, but is it considered the definitive source for establishing NM provenance?

Not Rick, but pretty much yes, short of original documentation.

Only if the rifle was sold to a civilian. If sold to a member of the military it doesn't show up in the records, usually.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

the barrel may or may not, be original...its very common for a NM rifle to have a later replacment barrel...
    they were shot...alot..
    a barrel is a normal wear part...iv had several NM A1s with later star gauged barrels installed.
    still think this rifle is right as rain..and i look at alot of A1s....more then most...we all have our nitch in this 1903 world...the A1 is my weakness
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.