Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default My first trapdoor-range report

I traded into this 1884 trapdoor a couple of weeks ago for a good price. It's not pristine by any means, but it's complete, and the bore is great. My learning curve has been steep since then finding out details about it.
    The 'P' cartouche under the stock is quite good, the one on the left side is unreadable.
    Breechblock is dated 1873, so likely a replacement?
    One question, the rear sight has maybe 0.030" of side to side play. Is there anything I can do to tighten that up, or is it just worn out.
    Any other info is very welcome, thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wrench; 08-24-2013 at 03:36.

2. Default

A few more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking Rifle... Congrats!

Very nice. Rick B

Aint never seen an ugly one. Beat up ones just have character
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

6. Default

This rifle looks great. As far as the side-to-side play, are the mounting screws on tight? If not that, the windage screw, or, less likely, the teeth on the moveable base might be worn out.

7. Default

Thanks for the replies, this thing is a bit outside my normal collecting area, I'm telling myself I'm just expanding my US rifle collection.
    The rear sight is screwed down tightly, play is in the screw or base?? I haven't tried to take it apart yet to find out.
    Got my bullet mold today, dies and brass are here, just need a couple more small items and I'll be able to get it to the range. I can't wait to try it out!

What powder are you using, BP, a substitute or something like 5744?

9. Default

Was planning on smokeless....I've had recommendations of SR4759 and Unique so far, also 5744 but I don't have any of that. I load lots of reduced smokeless loads in other calibers, so have experience with that process.
    I've never used or shot blackpowder, will save that for another time, I think

SR4759 works very well, as does IMR4895. based upon personal experience. Use of a dacron wad to keep the powder against the primer seems useful , as well. I find that the same (22.5 grain SR4759) load which works well in 45/70 also seems to make my 11mm Mauser, 43 Spanish and 11mm Gras shoot pretty well too. SR4759 also is recommended by at least one other regular on this forum. All the foregoing applies to the use of a correct lead bullet.