1. Default Carbine Mag Problem

I acquired four G-Q marked mags, USGI, but all of them look like the tabs that lock against the mag catch are bent or pulled completely off like they were tried to remove without pushing the catch. Anyone know of a fix for this, or should I just try to sell them for collector "value" since they are not useful for firing as is? In great shape, some wear on the blueing, but the tabs are the downfall. Any help appreciated, or if you're interested, make an offer for one or all. Thanks.
    Marty
    Last edited by Marty T.; 07-29-2013 at 05:31.

Once the tabs are gone there is not much you can do with them other then as a parts for other magazines or sell them to someone for a display.

Somebody that's good with a MIG welder might be able to locate a couple of appropriately placed/sized "dots" of weld, which might then be shaped with the use of something like a good, sharp ignition file? Of course you'll scratch the heck out of them and you have to wonder if it's worth the time. On the other hand, it may be more productive than watching yet another NBA game on a cold, blowy Feb. afternoon.

I suspect magazines are damaged in this way more than one would think. I had a USGI magazine get stuck, I mean it wouldn't release for anything. I kept pulling on it trying to get it out and the little locking tabs eventually sheared off. I'm far from Schwarzenegger so M1 Carbine magazines seem to be made of a very soft alloy. Since there seems to be nothing wrong with my carbine and that was the only time I ever had one "stick" I suspect that in the event in the OP, while rare, is a bit more common than you would expect.
    Last edited by Art; 07-30-2013 at 08:05.

Default Carbine Magazine Repair

Sadly, carbine magazine repairs to the lugs almost never work out. By the time you weld the lugs, file and TRY to fit them PROPERLY, you will be almost certainly be better off just replacing them. My advice is to scrap the magazine tube and save the remaining parts, namely the follower, the spring and the floor plate. This damage happens when someone slams the magazine into the carbine and/or trys to pull it out without depressing the magazine catch. Sad.

This discussion reminded me that one reason the Garand used enbloc clips was that the Army was worried that magazines would be rendered useless by this type of damage. Later it was realized that magazines were cheap and thus could be considered disposable or semi-disposable. Fast forward 70 years and we not longer have a supply system producing thousands of magazines and each one becomes precious, especially if it has certain markings impressed upon it.

I agree you should strip them for parts. Shooting value is gone, collector value is all but gone. This happened to me a year or so ago. Thought I was getting a pretty good deal at a gun show, two clean looking mags for $20..... until I got home and looked at the mangled tabs. Tabs are the first and last thing I look at now.

8. Default

This is the reason the third lock tab was added to the 30 rnd. carbine mags. Also note the third tab is wider.
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 08-24-2013 at 09:48.

I noticed several vendors at the last Reno gun show selling new in the wrap for $15 ea. Who knows who made them. The point is I wouldn't set my tig welder up to do the repair with a new mag that cheap. Some used mags were cheaper still. Strip them for parts and buy new ones, don't waste any time thinking about it.
    Chris