Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Got a look at the new KraG today ..

I went down to Doc's Gun Barn today to get my elk and deer tags. The Krag rifle arrived from the online auction, so I did the paperwork, which got hung up because I got a felony arrest (not a conviction) from 1987. That's another story, but I did not get to take it home with me.

HOWEVER!!! It is a really, really nice weapon in person, much better than I expected. All the edges are sharp, it looks as if it never saw much service at all. No boogered screw slots, not much handling wear, even. It looks like it aged in an armory rack somewhere in a dry climate. I'll post photos when I get my hands on it.

I may have stolen that gun!

jn

As an aside, I tried holding it offhand. man, I could feel my wounded shoulder! I thought the surgery had got me back to 95 percent, but holding up a long-barreled milsurp is a proof test for your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    I may have stolen that gun!
    Watch it... you don't need another felony arrest... LOL

You need to try and get that expunged. I had turned 18 and got into trouble. Paid my fines, did my time and the record was Expunged. 30 years later I was getting tired of stalls in purchase and a CMP total stoppage. Had to wait on the FBI who told me I had a Felony record but they couldn't find it. Nice of them to accuse me but give no proof. I talked to my Father about it and he asked if I had ever gone back to court like I was supposed to after a year of probation to get the record Expunged. I said I didn't have to they told me it was automatic. Young and dumb came back to haunt me. I called a friend who was also a lawyer and we went to court and had it expunged. Sad part was the woman judge really was a mean &*^%$ I almost stood up and cussed her out. I have never been in trouble since then and hadn't even had a ticket in 20 year or more. I have two children and still happily married unlike most. I have worked ever since I was 13 and even have a second job and this woman was ready to not allow me to be expunged. It was sad..

Needless to say I have not been delayed once since this was fix 5 years ago. Do what you can to fix it. Rick B

When I was trying to get my C&R I had to dig back to 1974 to prove that a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct didn't have an element of domestic violence in it. They held approval of my license back until I got that proof too!
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Well,

I know how it feels to be a hunted man. John Dillinger! But man, you should see that Krag!

What's the best repro sling? I am not gonna put old leather on this rifle.

OH! And Doc at the Gun Barn got one look at that Krag and took it as a sign he should show me his best pieces, an 84 trapdoor rifle and a '73 TD carbine, both cherry and an engraved Farqaharson single shot custom in 45/70 with a couple $500 pieces of wood on it.

Friends in high places!

jn

I was told on this forum recently, that a felony charge made no difference, has to be a conviction, and they held it because of just an arrest?? What did the 4473 ask? 'charged' or 'conviction' for a 'crime punished by more then one year in prison'?

The wording changes every time one gets a chance to look it over. Here in Ohio, it used to be a conviction of a felony of violence. Now they grab your guns for anything they can as soon as they can. Jon, ebay has lots of repro 1907 slings. Once you get some neetsfoot oil on them, they darken and look original. There's also reproduction 1887 slings there. Mine wears a sling that Sarco was once selling for the 1917, which requires a slightly longer 1907 sling. For shooting I only need the front piece. It was too long to draw up parade tight on a Krag with both pieces but the single piece fits between the swivels. I can't carry it with the single piece though.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Well, golly gee whiz.
    All these woulda/allmostcoulda suspicious fellows here.
    Lost a job interview because a guy, born my same year, with my last and first name, had web search information indicated this was a serial killer.
    Told the would be HR interviewer he didn't read to the end of the information.
    That guy died in a gun "struggle" with a Florida deputy in the 1970's.And his middle name was different.
    Was later told this HR person was encourage to move on from this company.

Now do show your find when you can!!

Thanks, Paul

Getting more and more off the original post, but have to share... my first wife's name is Barbara, and so is my second wife.(Trust me, the only thing they had in common was their first name!!) Despite our best efforts (the middle initial was different, birthdate, etc.) there is still a lot of confusion, although less so, now that we live in a different town.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

John Dillinger here. What I did was kick a balky ATM machine. It took my picture, and the bank was not amused. When the town banker speaks, the town cops jump. That was Flagstaff, 1987! Anyway, Doc said I could pick the rifle up after 8/1. I'm in Sandpoint ID right now to see my dau and grandchild, also to take the big swim

http://longbridgeswim.org/

I should be able to get pictures up next week. Should I get a 1907 sling, or go with the earlier one? For target shooting.

jn