Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Default

The M-40's as originally produced at Remington were not drilled and tapped. The example in the Remington museum at Ilion, NY. is not D&T'd. I had the manegr of the custom shop take it off the wall to campare it to my M-40. What happened to the M-40's after they left the depots at Albany,GA or Barstow, CA is another matter.

Those holes are consistent with a commercial 700 barrel of the era. But hey, whadda I know? Anything's possible. Fact is, in 1965 or so you could get a Remington catalog at your dealer's or have Remington send you one. You could have your dealer order you a rifle and the guys who made them would talk with you on the phone (on your dime) if you wanted something special. That's how much times have changed.

i was just being a smart ars...but, what i learned, never say never, or no they didnt come that way, when it comes to military weapons...
    when i first started to collect 1903,s i took what the books said as gospel, now i know better.
    always have an open mind when it comes to military arms. esspecially if the Marines had a hand in it.
    they liked to make it work, the way they saw fit.. manuals be damned.

4. Default

I would appear from all the responses that the wedge shaped insert near the muzzle was for attaching a back up iron sight.
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.

Quote Originally Posted by 7 ring View Post
    I would appear from all the responses that the wedge shaped insert near the muzzle was for attaching a back up iron sight.
    yes sir,. thats a correct assesment..

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ordnance View Post
    Chuck,

Here's a close up of the markings on the M40 in the collection of the Oregon Military Museum. This is a totally original Vietnam era gun that came back in the personal effects of a Marine sniper that was KIA.

Rick
    Sorry bout digging up another old thread, I found this searching for information on my Redfield I Tube scope.

Very nice original piece for sure. I tried looking at the Oregon Military Museum website, unfortunately it doesn't go into the history of the Marine sniper who fought with it.