Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New trapdoor ...

Last year I asked for advice on what TD to get for a shooter - Mr. Hosmer was kind enough to suggest the 1884 was pretty good. So I was feeling rich this spring and asked Al Frasca what he had in the way of a shooter. He emailed me yesterday about this one

http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/442500.html

and I bought it on the spot, plus a bayonet. Now for a sling and I'm set up. I've owned and shot BP guns all my life but this is my first trapdoor.

jn

That's pretty sweet Jon... Well Done!

Paul,

I was tired of looking at overpriced, boogered up junk and had about given up on a TD. Mr Frasca has nice stuff in the $1500 and up range. I'm not sure why he priced this one so low - it wasn't a super bargain, but definitely a righteous price. I sent the check yesterday, should get the rifle in early August.

jn

I have an older brother to yours 202 serial number older. My barrel also appeared unfired or near it. It has made a great shooter for me. I think you will enjoy yours. I need to get a bayonet and sling for mine.
    Last edited by p246; 07-24-2013 at 10:10.

Jon, I suspect he lowered the price because of the mottled finish. Should be a great shooter. Al is VERY honest and dependable.

Al's reputation kind of clinched the deal for me. And Dick, it was you advice steered me to the '84 as a shooter. I did order it with a bayonet, and plan to get a repro sling for (I hope) help in shooting the thing.

Unfortunately, my 1873 rifle is not really an 1873... Dick identified it as a mixed parts gun - possibly even a Bannerman. It does shoot though... quite well in fact. I may go looking for a true Trapdoor shooter myself one of these days... but not for some time (not financially possible right now).

Four years ago I bought a M1884 rifle from Al. The condition is as near new as possible for a rifle being 125+ years old. In my experience, Al under rates his stuff. I, too, bought a bayonet w/scabbard from Al and also an original sling. I have fired alot of BP thru my 1884.

Al supplied an ejector and ejector spring spindle for my 1873 Carbine. Great guy, and extremely helpful!

10. Default

not just a "fair" price, for a mechanically crisp rifle with a minty bore, I would say this was EASILY a "bargain" price for such a nice shooter.. well-played!