Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leather Scope Caps for 03A4

Hybrid View

1. Default Leather Scope Caps for 03A4

I have had several request recently for leather scope caps for the 03A4. Curious as to how much interest there is for these? I used to make these years ago for several collectors and reenactors, while I was stationed at MCB, Camp Pendleton, CA, but at that time, they were hand stitched.

I still have the patterns and an original sewing machine identical to one of the machine types which was used to stitch the plugs in the end of the caps. This machine is over 100 years old, but is tight and runs great. The type of stitch used was the French Edge Stitch and is sewn at an angle. If there is enough interest, I plan to begin manufacturing these to the original WWII specs. They will made from horse hide as were most of the originals, with NOS (new old stock) thread from the 1950's.

Another project we are working on, is setting up to make the leather cheekpiece for the M1D/C. I recently acquired one of the original molds and cutting dies. It has been documented that the tooling we have was made in the late 1950's. The tooling needed to be reworked and some TLC to get them back in shape, but we should be able to make a short run in the near future.

If there is any interest in the scope caps among 03A4 shooters and collectors here at CSP, just let me know as jigs will have to be made to form and sew the caps correctly. Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi,

Richard

Hi Richard I would be interested in several set. Would these be for the M73B1 scopes or the Lyman M81 and M82 scopes? Either way I am interested.
    Thanks
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

3. Default

1mark

Will most likely start out with the scope caps for the M73B1, and according to how much interest there is we will make the caps for the M81 and M82 as well.

Semper Fi,

Richard

Excellent news from a quality leatherman. Presently need two for the M73B1

Did the M81 and M82 ever come with GI dust caps? I would have thought the rubber eyecup would make using them difficult?

Regards,
    Jim

6. Default

jgaynor:

Never ran across any scope caps made large enough to slip over the rubber eye cup at the ocular end. All the ones I made years ago were designed to fit minus the rubber eye cup. It would not be difficult to make a larger/deeper cup on the ocular end so as to slip freely over the eye cup. I would suggest making the ocular cup long enough to cover the full length of the rubber.

7. Default

glindes:

Will send you a PM about scabbards.

Default Scabbards

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Turner/Turner Saddlery View Post
    glindes:

Will send you a PM about scabbards.
    Thank you sir, 'Looking forward to it.

I'm in for the caps. Probably 2.

10. Default

I hunt with mine... it has a unertlx 10x on it. I woukd be interested in caps for it