1. Question Rear sight dissembly

I purchased a first generation Universal carbine. Someone filed the wings of the front sight off and cut a V in the rear peep sight. The rear sight is a milled G.I. Sight. Can and how does one take the peep slide off and can it be purchased and replaced without having to purchase another complete rear sight and sight tool? Also, does anyone know where I can find a replacement front sight? I have looked everywhere from Numrich to eBay, but I can't locate one anywhere.

2. Default

You need a new front and rear sight. ebay usually has both?

The rear sight was not designed to be taken apart and have parts replaced. You need a complete rear sight. You can also contact Bill Ricca, Nick Dailey or Eddy Yuja for parts. All three are honest dealers.

Mebaitj:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...101.htm?page=5 items 26, 27, 28. You need one of each. Download this manual http://www.90thidpg.us/Reference/Man...-1276_1947.pdf Pg. 58 is Front Sight removal and replacement.

NOTE: There are tools for pulling the sight off once the key pin is driven out, buy it can be done without the special tools. Note the procedure for filing the front sight for elevation adjustments.

The next paragraph deals with the rear sight removal and installation. Again Special Tools are needed.

I suspect it would be cheaper for you to d/l the manual, and buy all the parts listed from Numrich and find a gunsmith who can follow the procedures, rather than finding all the special tools yourself for a 1-time job.

There is a adjustment target in the manual for filing down the front post for elevation. You can also find it online. Note: You can print it out Just scale the photo up to a letter page size. Print off several cause it's shoot, file, shoot, file, shoot till it meets the specifications.

RHB