1. Default Help! Need Advice on K98 Erma .22 conversion

I recently bought a K98 rifle (1940 27 code) with an Erma 1937 conversion kit installed. The kit is in great overall condition and came with two 1938-dated magazines but no box or tool. From what I can see the kit is matching, but I haven't had it out of the rifle to check the barrel number. The kit bore is excellent. The rifle is nothing to shout about. Also, although the rifle has complete proofs, it is import marked. The rifle has matching bands, ejector box, barrel and receiver. It has an old, discreet CIA import stamp on the underside of the barrel near the muzzle. The mismatched flat-buttplate stock is in nice shape with clear WaA 63 proofs. The rifle does have a period sling and hood, and what appears to be a repro rod. The original rifle bolt and floorplate/follower and not included.

I got this from a dealer and probably paid too much -- $850. Still, I thought it was a nice addition to my collection. However, when I got it home I found the kit bolt is missing what appears to be a spanner "jam" nut that goes on the end of the safety. The safety flops around somewhat. You have to sort of position the safety after you cock it to get it to fire. I assume finding this spanner nut would be next to impossible.

So, my question is whether I should return the rifle and kit it to the dealer. Please give me some advice as I only have a few days to return the rifle if need be! Thanks in advance for any replies....
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you like the rifle and the missing nut is the only detractor, keep it. The nut should not be a very difficult one to reproduce, if it is just a nut. looking at your pic, it looks like all one would have to do is disassemble the bolt to measure the threads and find a nut to fit them. Then shape the nut as need be for proper fit and function.

HTH,

Emri

I agree with Emri. The nut is a spanner type, slot on each side, round and the edges are rounded slightly. 850 was not a bad deal for the conversion kit and rifle. The tool is simply a short rod with a enlarged end that is knured. They are realy a hoot to shoot and quite accurate.
    Last edited by dave; 07-18-2013 at 10:49.