Default national match question

Should barrel date and serial number fairly closely match on a 1930s national match? Can a 1.4 million SA receiver have a 4-30 barrel date and be unaltered?

Thanks

Is the barrel star gauged?
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

3. Default

If it is a star gaged barrel, I think it is close enough to be original. Rifles were not built strictly in serial number sequence.

4. Default

Quite possible. During the depression and same era of NS receiver production, the barrel/ receiver match up was often off. Military production of complete rifles were way down and civilian sales were not that stiff during the depression either. Many barrels and receivers were put together with parts out of the parts bin, not necessarily at SA and not necessarily in any particular order. Obviously not all pre-war/depression era rifles were NM barreled either. If I am not mistaken many receiver/barrel combinations were assembled as a unit for rifle replacement in the military system, again out of parts with no concern for matching data. Often older barrels were recycled as well as pre-war dated barrels. I try to collect that era rifle myself and am drawn to the time frame of your rifle. You should take some pics and post them. That is coming from a guy who for years didn't have a camera or computer that worked well for pics. Cheers, John.

Blog Entries

I don't have a NM so this information may not be particularly relevant. I have a 1903 NRA Sporter number 1407218 and the barrel date is 9-32. It was sold on 5-23-1934 so I am confident the barrel is original.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell6776 View Post
    Should barrel date and serial number fairly closely match on a 1930s national match? Can a 1.4 million SA receiver have a 4-30 barrel date and be unaltered?

Thanks
    (1) Not necessarily if the rifle is in the 1.4 million SA range.

(2) Yes.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 07-17-2013 at 07:43.

7. Default

I have SA #1406381 with 5/32 star gauge barrel. I am pretty confident this barrel is original too and correct for time frame. Don't claim to be "Mr Knowledge on NM 03s" either. I guess my earlier statement is based on what I know of standard issued 1903s from that time frame of say 1928-1939. If the rifle {Big if without pics or more info} is indeed a NM, I would still think it possible and maybe {capitalize MAYBE} even probable that the barrel/receiver would not match. Don't declare my statements above as gospel, but from memory of 03 production and examples I saw when I was more actively collecting 03's. Would love to hear more knowledgeable collectors chime in on their thoughts. Hate to propagate misinformation if I am wrong about my assumptions.

If a NM rifle was a team rifle, this too could explain the possibility of having a star guage barrel with conflicting dates of MFG. If memory serves me right and it may not, the whole production at SA during those depression years was kind of topsy turvy in most areas of production. Revisions made, but using up old stock first, using up what ever parts were on hand and much of the production consisting of parts more than complete rifles. Then building them as needed and on very limited basis. Not to mention the starting to gear up for M1 Garand production and the upcoming WW2. Granted this woud apply to later years in the 1930s, but it started before production finally started on M1s as did the gearing up for WW2. This is the world according to me, please correct me where I am wrong. I can take it! Regards, John.

Also it is common to have a 1903 NM with a later replacement NM barrel. Many were rebuilt one or more times by SA and reissued. My shooter is a 1921NM receiver with a 1928 NM barrel that because of the finish wear on the safety I imagine has been rebuilt more than once until sold after 1928..
    Last edited by Doug Douglass; 07-18-2013 at 06:31.