Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

What 'Impresses me' about this dreamer is that over two days the guys in his classes fire at least 50,000 rounds a day! 15,000 students, 15,000,000 rounds of ammo equals 100,000 rounds per student over two days. Just another deluded Glockophile.

Maybe we've inadvertently discovered the reason for the ammo shortage.
    Last edited by Dave Waits; 07-18-2013 at 09:37.
    "Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas"
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
    What 'Impresses me' about this dreamer is that over two days the guys in his classes fire at least 50,000 rounds a day! 15,000 students, 15,000,000 rounds of ammo equals 100,000 rounds per student over two days. Just another deluded Glockophile.

Maybe we've inadvertently discovered the reason for the ammo shortage.
    lol lol I dont think anyone could fire 50,K rounds in 48 hrs. even if they didnt have to reload, maybe with a machine gun but not with an semi auto pistol. thats a lot of ammo

Blog Entries

I think he was being cumulative about the 15,000, lol!

I'll quote wiki regarding the comments that the Hi-Power was an improved design over the 1911.

FN commissioned John Browning to design a new military sidearm conforming to this specification. Browning had previously sold the rights to his successful M1911 U.S. Army automatic pistol to Colt's Patent Firearms, and was therefore forced to design an entirely new pistol while working around the M1911 patents.
    At first I thought it was another Rob Pincus 1911 bash... maybe bald guys just hate the 1911?

http://FN commissioned John Browning...M1911 patents.

I became frustrated trying to hear what the guy in the video response was saying over the off camera gun fire and wind noise.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by seagoatami View Post
    lol lol I dont think anyone could fire 50,K rounds in 48 hrs. even if they didnt have to reload, maybe with a machine gun but not with an semi auto pistol. thats a lot of ammo
    In WW1 , they pulled a unit out of the line and moved them down to attack in another place . They could not leave that section unmaned , but they had little to put there. During the night when the unit moved out , six 1917 Browning machinegun crews moved in with truckloads of 30-06 belted ammo. Over the next 24 hours those six guns pumped out over a million rounds of 30-06 between them. Noone charged that line during those 24 hours until the unit returned . What was lost was how much water they went through . Never in the 24 hours were less than four guns in operation at the same time .
    Chris

emmagee, that reminds me. Brownings proving test with the 1911 for U.S. Army trials was 6,000 rounds interrupted by mag swaps and repeated dumping into a bucket of water when the weapon got uncomfortably hot. Apparently it had ZERO failures during the 6,000rds. Most 1911 problems are due to overly tight tolerances on target guns you shouldn't be carrying for defense or the Bubba syndrome where people work on parts at home that should be left to a gunsmith (Why I haven't messed with mine in weeks....ran out of stuff I can actually do)

I have an H&K USP .40 By all rights it is at least as good as a Glock and arguably better. It has been relegated to secondary duty now that I have my 1911. I recommended a 1911 to my mom. I do not recommend specific guns in most cases and I sure as heck won't stick my mom with a gun I don't trust. I put hardened parts and new springs in her surplus CZ52 and Femaru, The Makarov was in great shape and came from a trustworthy source but was well tested before it got my blessing. Her 1911 got a trip to the range for familiarization and thats all it took for either of us to be comfortable with it.
    Last edited by Guamsst; 07-18-2013 at 09:35.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    I became frustrated trying to hear what the guy in the video response was saying over the off camera gun fire and wind noise.
    The thing you really needed to hear in the video response was BANG ping....... BANG ping.........BANG ping....... BANG ping.........BANGpingBANGping........BANG ping.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

I love this country. It allows everyone to have an opinion. I only have two handguns, both are 1911's. I don't feel I have a need for any other handgun. I like steel.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Wiki is quite often more often wrong then right about firearms. I think you will find that John Browning licensed the rights to his 1911 to Colt and still owned then outright. He was approached by the French while working with FN to produce a possible multi shot pistol for them using their round which was the 7.65 French long and that was a direct copy of the US 30 Pedersen round. He was well on his way with this pistol when he died and a fellow employee at FN took up the design and finished it making it the famous Browning Hi-Power. John Browning did make changes to this design that he felt were in need of updating like no barrel bushing or barrel link and pin but the basic design is still the same between then 1911 and the Hi-Power and both continue on today.
    Last edited by Tuna; 07-19-2013 at 06:05.

9. Default

There were preliminary tests leading up to the final 6000 round test between the Savage and the Colt pistols, and this is the information on the actual test. From Ordnance records:

"The two pistols were then thoroughly examined, oiled and fired deliberately 6000 rounds each, being cleaned thoroughly, examined and oiled after each 1000 rounds. Wherever examination showed the least sign of deformation it was noted. Each pistol was fired 100 rounds and then was allowed to cool while the other was fired, giving each pistol at least 5 minutes to cool. Firing was not begun after cooling until the hand could be placed on the slide over the barrel without discomfort. There was an interval of about two seconds between shots in the same magazine when the pistol functioned normally."

10. Default

The U.S. Ordnance Department put out the specifications for a semi-automatic pistol of .45 caliber. At the time John Browning worked for Colt, and the design that JB and the Colt engineers came up with was the pistol that was eventually accepted by the military. Colt owned the manufacturing rights to the Model 1911 pistol, and produced a civilian version known as the Government Model.

As part of the negotiations for the Model 1911 pistol contract, Springfield Armory obtained the rights to manufacture the pistol at Springfield. This agreement was between Colt and Ordnance officials.

The development of the pistol that became the Browning High Power had hit a snag, and it wasn't until after John Browning's death that the patent rights on the Model 1911 expired, and some features from the Model 1911 were incorporated on the HP, and it was successfully completed.