Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Take another look at the knob....

I took an altered RB stock some years ago at auction for the grand total bid of $5. That was the last lot of the day and they lost the receipt so total outlay was $0 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Could you show the front band? I believe you have a Bannerman carbine from what I can see.
    Imageshack isn’t cooperating, so I can’t upload more photos right now. The stock has the spring-slot filled and is solid at the nose where it was cut (between lightening grooves). It has a smooth buttplate and milled front swivel band with a “U” marking.

Quote Originally Posted by 5MadFarmers View Post
    Take another look at the knob....

The rear sight slider does look to be off--that might also explain why the leaf was ground to get the slider to fit. So not correct, but maybe not exactly faked. (Bannermanned?)

3. Default

Bannerman carbines used altered 1903 stocks filled in as yours is. The front band is a sheet metal affair, well made that you will only see on a Bannerman carbine. While most collectors think little of these Krags, I always thought they were interesting. And if you are trying to find one, you will look a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by JacobCR View Post
    Imageshack isn’t cooperating, so I can’t upload more photos right now. The stock has the spring-slot filled and is solid at the nose where it was cut (between lightening grooves). It has a smooth buttplate and milled front swivel band with a “U” marking.

The rear sight slider does look to be off--that might also explain why the leaf was ground to get the slider to fit. So not correct, but maybe not exactly faked. (Bannermanned?)
    I'm missing where the leaf was ground? All M1898/1902 sliders should fit all M1898/1902 leaves, though they will not engage correctly because the left leaf edges come in three styles, with matching binding surfaces on the respective sliders. The knob has the relief millings which allow tightening with a rimless cartridge and were intended for use on the RB1903. Some found their way onto Krags when sights were rebuilt.

You want a more correct slider, I'll trade you the one off my 98 carbine sight. It's otherwise Bubba'd. Outside edges of the eyepiece ground to the point that the eyepiece is no wider than the usual 22 rear sight. Leaf is bent, but instead of straightening it, some genius, noting that the eyepiece didn't sit right on the flat at the rear of the ramp, elected to file said flat crooked so that the eyepiece bore all the way across. Or, you could buy the real and correct one on GB for over $500! And to think I sold one for around $60 not long ago.

Dick, you said three varieties of leaf above. I have one leaf that is knurled on the left side. One can catch 4 little slots between each 25yd marking that is on the leaf. Each of those little spots one can stop at should equal about .75" at 200yds. The slider has the 03 binding knob. Now all I need is a Krag that'll hold .75" at 200yds!

Other sight trivia, I just ran across an old ad on ebay, a company claimed, in 1927 that they had 14,000 model 92 Krag rear sights in stock. Going for $1 ea.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Other sight trivia, I just ran across an old ad on ebay, a company claimed, in 1927 that they had 14,000 model 92 Krag rear sights in stock. Going for $1 ea.
    Although I haven't checked, lately, eBay and Gunbroker used to have several M1892 rear sights available.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

They are commonly available, having been removed from about 25,000 arms with minimal (on a small batch of M1898 rifles, when the desired sights were not yet completed) official reuse.

Beware anyone who tries to tell you the sight is "rare" - the rifle yes, the sight, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    I'm missing where the leaf was ground? All M1898/1902 sliders should fit all M1898/1902 leaves, though they will not engage correctly because the left leaf edges come in three styles, with matching binding surfaces on the respective sliders. The knob has the relief millings which allow tightening with a rimless cartridge and were intended for use on the RB1903. Some found their way onto Krags when sights were rebuilt.
    Here's a slightly clearer view of the grinding marks (across the 17-15 and 12-10). Any ideas on what went on?

A photo of the stock nose and band:

I think I'll just clean up the rust and leave the sight as-is. If I come across an 1899 stock I'll swap it out (and keep the 03 stock with it), but for now, I'll keep it mostly as I got it. (Just a little less rust.)

OK, now I see what you meant, and I think what you have there is some sort of damage or abuse, not something to do with any manufacturing process. I had thought you meant some sort of uniform slimming somewhere, which I could not see.