Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1898 Carbine rear sight (fake?)

I’m a bit of a sucker for orphaned rifles, and recently found myself in a small carbine frenzy (three in two weeks). One of them was this 1899 wearing a very modified 03 Springfield stock (somebody did a lot of work to get it to fit):

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/121708...al-bolt-action

It has what appears to be an 1898 carbine rear sight:

More:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img835/5743/ryio.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img526/5109/bj3y.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img703/7928/ny6b.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img706/3161/tpl5.jpg

Has anyone seen any reproduction (fake) 1898 carbine sights? I did a quick check online, but only saw references to the faked 1896 sights. I’m wondering about the rear sight’s validity due to the grinding marks on the leaf, as well as the fact that not many were made. The base profile looks okay, and the numbers look to be the right font (to my layman’s eye), but I’m still a bit suspicious.

Even if the sight is fake, I still have a decent 1899 barreled action project with a surprisingly good bore. The rust isn’t actually that deep, and there doesn’t appear to be any pitting under the surface rust. From what I’ve read online, it looks like this one (228967) was born in Oct. 1899. It joins my other 1899 (227030) which is pretty close to the other, time-wise. Incidentally, they both have turned-down muzzles (and correct 22” barrels, from what I understand).
    Last edited by JacobCR; 07-14-2013 at 02:18. Reason: Added info

The Krag you are showing is an 1899 carbine. The "C" markings don't look fake to me, but this is one I'd turn over to Dick, 5MF or one of the other "advanced thinkers". It is not listed in SRS, but is in the middle of a batch of 1899 carbines.

If you got it for less than two hundred bucks, even with the screwy stock, I think you got a good deal, especially with what may be a 1898 carbine rear sight.

I once had what was probably a cut-down Krag with a similar type of stock. If you look farther down the list of threads, you'll see that I can also be a sucker for "orphaned" 1899s!
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 07-14-2013 at 06:45.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Unquestionably an 1898C sight, though it has not led a sheltered life, nor is it wrong for an early 1899 Carbine. In fact, my arm could probably be twisted into saying that it might even be original to the gun. You basically stole the piece. Stocks come along. Here is mine:
    Attached Images Attached Images

From what I read somewhere, there were few of the 99 carbines with the 1898 sight that got issued, most were still at Springfield and had their sights changed. Also, I had read somewhere that they were some of the first Krag sights sold as surplus. Bannerman was fond of shoehorning metal into wood other than the original, and I've seen a few of them in Springfield stocks. Some of the 99 carbines did get issued with that sight, so it's entirely possible both yours and Dicks were.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Seems to be fitting a Boyd's stock would be simpler, LOL. I like that the description stated "MSRP/Retail: Blue Book 100%=approx...... $3,000" - I didn't know that Springfield had placed an MSRP on the Krags in 1899.
    Last edited by psteinmayer; 07-14-2013 at 01:14.

Great news. Thanks for all of the extra information. Browsing the auction sites with the search term “Krag” is usually a very sad affair, with so many sportered/butchered beasts, but sometimes it works out.

As an added bonus to this carbine, I also found a nice '03 nickeled oiler with pull-thru and brush in the trap (the oiler side still has oil in it).

One good thing about the '99s is that they all came as carbines, so there's usually no question as to whether or not it was a cut-down. (I also got an 1898 “carbine” in an 1899C stock from the same seller at the same time, but I’ll put that into another thread.)

I’ve been watching RTL’s 1899 project—it definitely has character. I kind of like rifles with “character,” as they had probably lead much more interesting lives than the pristine safe queens. I just don’t feel a sense of history with an old rifle with no wear.

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    Seems to be fitting a Boyd's stock would be simpler, LOL. I like that the description stated "MSRP/Retail: Blue Book 100%=approx...... $3,000" - I didn't know that Springfield had placed an MSRP on the Krags in 1899.
    I got a kick out of their retail value quote, as well.

I actually found them very friendly and easy to deal with--they understand what a C&R is, and they are one of the few left that willingly still sell to us unfortunate Californians. (And they only charged $30 to ship two carbines with no skimping on packing materials.)

I wonder if there is any identifiable characteristic of the rod bayo 03 stock that might be visible in the stock of your Krag. Bannerman would likely have gotten his fingers on those 03 stocks at a time when Krag wood wasn't available.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Well, I'd think the full-length hole would probably give you a clue! Sorry, Bob! :-)

10. Default

Could you show the front band? I believe you have a Bannerman carbine from what I can see.