Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Northern by birth, transplanted to Free America by the grace of God

Default OK, I give up...........

Where'd this front barrel band come from?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kragnut; 07-08-2013 at 07:38.

Looks like a VERY early 1892 upper band - does it have the "hole" for the cleaning rod?

What info can you tell us on the rifle?
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Type 1B using Poyer's nomenclature. Used from serial #201 through 2100, when they started using the type with the cut out top. I'm curious if the cleaning rod hole is still there too.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

IF the band is original you can name your price. I had a fake that was so good it took Bill Mook a couple of weeks to decide. Close to impossible to find.

The rifle doesn't look like an 1892 or 1892/96 - I don't see the cut for the cleaning rod or the filled in place for one on an 1892/96. Can you post a picture of the part taken from the muzzle end?
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

6. Default

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Type 1B using Poyer's nomenclature. Used from serial #201 through 2100, when they started using the type with the cut out top.
    Good humor.

Quote Originally Posted by 5MadFarmers View Post
    Good humor.
    Are you saying that Poyer's Krag book is about as accurate as his M1903 book??
    --C.S. Lewis

9. Default

More "aspires" to that level....

Poyer and his "types." Types are nonsense. They're a sign that somebody doesn't understand the material. If they understood the material they'd understand the fallacy of types.

I have at least 6 variations of Model of 1892 butt plates. How many "types" does Poyer claim? Six isn't the total - that's just the number I have sitting in a bag.

I have 4 safeties sitting on a shelf. Two are thick and two are thin. Two are 1896 and two are 1892. If you follow Poyer's "types" that means the two thick are one model and the two thin the other. Except of the four I have 1 thick and 1 thin are Model of 1892 whereas 1 thick and 1 thin are Model of 1896. Try fitting those into his "types."

Types are nonsense. If they understood the material they'd understand the fallacy of types.

A particularly stellar example of the fallacy of "types," not Poyer material but it's a nice example, is eagle snap cartridge belts. How many "types" of them? Guess first then continue reading....

Ready?

Based on the blueprints the answer is "over a thousand." How's that for types? Krags aren't much different. Types are bunk.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 07-09-2013 at 07:37.

Bill Mook told me years ago that the first type solid band didn't have a cleaning rod guide hole of steel. He showed a drawing of the first type in his book, Krag Crap, that had no steel hole. I guess the rod just went through a hole in the wood.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-09-2013 at 09:26.