Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

If I see the serial number correctly yours is a 1898 model manufactured in 1903. It is considered a fourth and last model Krag. The 1903 Springfield replaced it. If the barrel has not been cutdown, which I dont believe it has, you can piece in a forearm and have a full rifle. I have done it and it turns out pretty nice. This website has alot of info on a project like this one. Enjoy....

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/index.php

Ordinarily I'd be with gtodan on this one. I'm always on the prowl for a Krag "in the wild" to "restore" but in this case you know the rifle's history and who had it, I'd probably keep it as is. The way your grandfather had it and used it. That's one of the reasons I wanted to see the end of the forearm. It looks like a better chop job than most.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

I would also keep it "as-is". That's the way your grandfather saw it and used it.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

As it is an heirloom I would leave it as is. I suspect it will be a fine hunting arm. But be aware that if the barrel is still at full length, that adds greatly to the value simply because today the "as issue" ones are prized by vintage military match target shooters and collectors, and it is if still full length, easily "restored."

That said, the value of the piece to you and your kids cannot be expressed in dollars and cents! Just don't do anything more TO it! The cleaning and gunsmith check is fine... There is a trick to getting the bolt out and the gunsmith can tell you about that and the magazine cut off so be sure to ask for a demo when you pick it up.

Congrats!

+1 leave it as is, shoot it, pass it down. Write up the story and put it under the buttplate or in the trap.

jn

I wonder if that's why the bolt knob on my '98 Krag is dark and pitted, as if it had been handled by sweaty palms in damp tropical climes somewhere?
    Working in corrections can be good experience for a young person, if you know when to quit!

I see allot of Krags with dark bolt knobs, even up the handle. Some so smooth they look blued (it is just another form of "rust blueing"). And I'm sure its from sweaty hands.

JB, Krags are really nice rifles and if you wish to bring it back to "original" configuration then I would recommend S&S Firearms(ssfirearms.comm) for needed parts. I've used them as a resource for many years. Good folks , good product and good service. You will be surprised what they have in their catalog that you may like.