Default 1893 French Chatterault Nagant thats been everywhere

Saw this one on a local guns for sale board for $150 sent my wife to buy it for me as I had to work. The Barrel and receiver are French with both a boxed SA on barrel and AZF on the receiver. The stock is Finnish the bolt is all Remington. the bore is very good and the trigger is the best I have ever felt on a Nagant and rivals the best of my German or American rifles.It has no import marks. hard to believe this thing survived in this shape so long.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by randy langford; 07-07-2013 at 07:57.

Sage, California....where the pavement ends and The West begins

Nice rifle. One thing, though. It's a Mosin, not a Nagant. When you say "Nagant" you are talking about clunky old revolver.

The WW1 capture AZF marking is cool, and at $150 you did very well as this is an $800 + rifle.

Very, very nice old rifle. As Marcus says, you got one heck of a deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Nice rifle. One thing, though. It's a Mosin, not a Nagant.
    Since we're real technical here it isn't a "Mosin" either. It's the "Three Line Rifle Model of 1891." It's referred to as the "Mosin" or "Mosin-Nagant" just like the "U.S. Rifle Cal. .30 M1" is referred to as the "Garand." Nagant submitted a competing design for the trial in which the Model 1891 rifle was adopted. Some of his features, relating to the magazine, were adapted into the basic Mosin designed rifle for which the Tsarist government paid him a royalty after a dispute in which he threatened legal action. Therefore the Mosin-Nagant moniker. You are correct that the basic design of the rifle was Sergei Mosin's though, and the Russians never used Nagant's name in connection with the rifle.
    Last edited by Art; 08-17-2013 at 04:08.

Default Mosin Rifle

I enjoy these old M1891 types. They represent a pivotal period in European history, and ours too for that matter. Interesting how the Russians stayed with a rimmed cartridge when the rest of the world went rimless. Social turbulence? I have found the real challenge now is to
    find ammo manufactured during that era. Also, Romanov oilers seem to be scarce. Enjoy,
    that rifle is not only attractive, but it is a piece of history. You can tell the Finns had it by the
    accurately placed recoil bolt. The Russians didn't do as nice a job.

Thanks for all the comments I plan on some range time soon. I will give a report as soon as I do it will surprise me if it doesn't shoot as good as it looks.

Nice rifle. Here is a pic of my 93 Chat... http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/109_0902.jpg chris3

Default early Russian cartridges

These early round nose 7,62x54R cartridges are difficult to find, the spritzer bullet was introduced in 1908 but took years to replace the sights on the weapons

Default Got to the range

Got to the range today shot a total of 20 rounds. The first 15 with sight set at lowest setting last 5 I moved the sight up one notch. The distance was one 100 yards off a rest with a 6 o'clock hold the red center measures 4 1/2 inch. If it wasn't for the two flyers the first group would have been 4 1/2 inch as is it measures 8 1/2 inches last 5 shots measure 3 3/4. I am one happy person today.
    Attached Images Attached Images