Thread: A Scoped Krag

Default A Scoped Krag

From a plate in the 1900 Chief of Ordnance Reports.Telescopic Sight-

Last edited by JBinIll; 07-06-2013 at 06:14.
    A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.

Last edited by JBinIll; 07-06-2013 at 06:15.
    A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.

Last edited by JBinIll; 07-06-2013 at 06:16.

Thanks, JB.

jn

5. Default

Rub it in.

A set of those mounts sold on eBay a few years ago. I wasn't sure at the time that they were for the Krag so I didn't take them. Dummy me.

Dummy me for not getting the sideplate I saw that was made to mount the Warner Swasey. I don't recall the exact amount, but I don't think it went for much.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

7. Default

Extremely cool, but due to the way they were attached to the gun, were they really, really, stable? I wonder if there any records/reports extant showing they were ever used in combat?

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    Extremely cool, but due to the way they were attached to the gun, were they really, really, stable? I wonder if there any records/reports extant showing they were ever used in combat?
    It was recommended that some be purchased for trials at the time.Whether any were no idea.May be a report in the 1901 CofO reports on the trials.

9. Default

Originally ten produced. As I remember several of the scopes were damaged from recoil. The one shown above is dated 1899 and had an earlier model Cataract scope. The ten were cartouched 1900 and in the 278K serial number range. This data is from Brophy and Mallory's books. I have heard of another scoped Krag being sold at Louisville show years ago with another model scope used, alleged to have been from Frankford arsenal.