Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camp Perry...

Default Camp Perry...

Just wanted to say that I hope we all do great this year!!! I hope to meet a few more of my Krag friends from here. I'll be arriving on Friday morning at around 5:00 AM to get checked in... Then I'll go find Bob (Madsenshooter). If you see me, say hello... I'm the portly guy in the picture below (from last year's match)!

Good luck!

jn

Good luck, Paul.

Is the hasty sling permitted? If not, have you tried resting your arm on your hip, if that is allowed? I'm an old gallery shooter, and your position - unless it was just posed for fun - is the least steady of the offhand variations, as it depends on muscle support alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Good luck, Paul.

Is the hasty sling permitted?
    No.

If not, have you tried resting your arm on your hip, if that is allowed?
    Yes, The hip rest is allowed, but the back bend and twist that is needed to make this work properly cannot be done in those "hardback" coats. In Scheutzen, where those coats are not allowed, this position rules, and impressive scores are fired on a much, much more challenging target (German Ring) than the NRA SR, and using lead alloy bullets at about 1400 fps (very long barrel time!) Just sayin' ......

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

But do not Scheutzen rifles use the palm rest, which, with hip rest, makes a pretty steady platform?

Paul,

All you need is a blue-and-tan outfit and a bunch of angry Spanish infantry coming at you!

jn

LOL Jon...

Dick, I now have a 1907 sling (original, not repro) installed. I really didn't know about off-hand shooting last year... as that was my first National Match. I hope to do much, much better this year!

But do not Scheutzen rifles use the palm rest, which, with hip rest, makes a pretty steady platform?
    Yes, you can. I have but one rifle with a palm rest ... the others I shoot with thumb and forefingers on the foreend; gives about the same height. Yes, I even shot the M1 this way.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

I have enough bend and twist left in me to use the hip rest, and get a little push back into the shoulder from grasping the front of the magazine box. I liked the 20rd magazine on an M1A better. Actually was using the hold today, making little rocks out of big rocks in an old mine area. Those hard coats are supposedly not allowed anymore, (rule 4.8.1 CMP Games Rules), but guys have hundreds of dollars in them, they're going to use them, and I doubt there's much happening in the way of enforcement. http://www.thecmp.org/Competitions/CMPGamesRules.pdf Paul's lucky he got that pic, he handed me his phone, I don't know to use them, and don't wanna know, but the scorer next to me got the pic for him.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

10. Default

Envious of you guys shooting at Camp Perry with your Krags. Wish I could join you, but a barely flexible/mobile body doesn't allow for much in the way of position shooting anymore!