Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Now I can't get the bolt to cock!

I lent my son-in-law my m1903. He shot a few rounds, then took it apart to clean it. He said his friend "probably didn't put it back right" Now I can't get the bolt open in normal operation. Something is stopping it. To get it open -- I have to cock the gun by pulling the firing pin knob and rotate the safety up (mid position) then operate the bolt to open. I just can't figure it out ... any help would be appreciated. Bill

Take a look at the extractor. He may have jammed the bolt in with the extractor at 12 o'clock instead of at 3 o'clock. If you thinj this may be the problem try to open the bolt put the safety to 12. Then use a screw driver to lever the extractor back to its normal position.

If the bolt opens and closes normally another possibilty is the bolt sleeve may not be fully threaded in. If you can take the bolt out pull back on the firing pin sear hook and engage the safety (12 oclock again)
    Depress the little silver button on the left rear of the bolt sleeve and unscrew the firing mechanism from from the bolt.
    As long as you have gone this far disassemblt the firing mechanism to ensure the striker, firing pin, mainspring and retainer are correctly assembled,
    Pull back on the cocking piece and reengage the safety. Screw the firing mechanism back into the bolt.
    Make sure the extractor is rotated to 3 o'clock and insert the bolt into the rifle. No force should be necessary. Remember to depress the magazine follower. Engage the magazine cutoff to "ON"

Let us know if you need more help.

Regards,

Jim
    Last edited by jgaynor; 06-29-2013 at 02:53.

Here is a good ref for assembly of the bolt.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/03a3/bol...mble/index.asp

Can you open the bolt by just cocking it without rotating the safety up? Please advise.

Thanks!

J.B.

Make your SIL and *his friend* pay to get it checked by a good 1903/1903a3 smith,, as they might have messed something else up.

RHB

6. Default

I got it !!!!!! After all of the times I've taken the bolt in & out trying to figure this out, It just worked this time and I STILL am not quite sure WHY!!!!! Thanks for all your replies. I'll stay in touch here when I can. Bill

That's the reason I will not lend any of my firearms to anyone for any reason.

Amen to that. guys will tell you that they know everything there is to know about firearms but will not even be able to remove a bolt or empty a magazine. Best not to ever lend to anyone.

9. Default

My rule for lending guns is the same as my rule for borrowing my truck: "I won't loan you my truck; but you can borrow me and I'll bring my truck."

Vi

I remember an old saying, never lend out your wife, horse or gun, but not necessarily in that order.

John
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.