Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

No, I stepped back when it seemed your issue was resolved, and now I won't be able to for about a week, myself. :-(

S&S Firearms has a repro rod for the Rem-Lee. I cannot vouch for it's "correctness", but it fits, threads in and "looks" correct to my uneducated eyes on my 1885. Just on a whim, I decided to try it in a Swiss Vetterli, and it fit, threaded in and "looked" correct there, too. The Swiss rifles are always missing the rods, and folks are charging big bucks for rods of questionable origin that fit, so I called S&S to let them know of my serendipitous "find". In their latest catalog, it is advertised as Vette rod, too!

I have a 6mm Lee Navy inbound, pics as soon as I can.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

Thank's Bob, if I don't find an original rod, I will order a repro from them.
    Looking forward to seeing the pics of the Win Navy Lee, Ray

4. Default

Original rods should not be that hard to find. The rod is the same as used in the Peabodies, though the length may be different. The threads, however, are unique so if the rod needs to be shortenen, save the threaded end to splice back on the shortened rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    S&S Firearms has a repro rod for the Rem-Lee. I cannot vouch for it's "correctness", but it fits, threads in and "looks" correct to my uneducated eyes on my 1885. Just on a whim, I decided to try it in a Swiss Vetterli, and it fit, threaded in and "looked" correct there, too. The Swiss rifles are always missing the rods, and folks are charging big bucks for rods of questionable origin that fit, so I called S&S to let them know of my serendipitous "find". In their latest catalog, it is advertised as Vette rod, too!

Resp'y,
    Bob S.

I was once sold a Swiss rod as an 1867 TD Cadet rod, by someone (a one-time big-name TD collector) who HAD to have known better. It ultimately broke a friendship as he refused, after assuring me it was correct (and charging a commensurate price) to take it back. My policy has always been a full refund at any time for any reason, so long as the item has not been altered in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    No, I stepped back when it seemed your issue was resolved, and now I won't be able to for about a week, myself. :-(
    Thanks Dick, would appreciate it as I understand Ed Knisely is recovering from a heart attack which explains why I haven't received a reply.
    Ray
    Last edited by rayg; 07-11-2013 at 04:07.

Dick don't forget to check to see if you have a 79 slider for me, Ray

Well an up date. I never heard back from Ed Knisely after he had the heart attack about the slider sight he said he had nor did Dick get back to me if he had one so I contacted Al Frasca and he had the slider but it was on the ladder which I bought but told him to only send me the slider part. Al's a class act as he deducted a few bucks because of that which he didn't have to do. He said ladders are common and not as scarce as loose slider sights.
    Anyway, the slider came Sat and when I took the screws out to separate the front and back of the slider to put it on the ladder, and a spring and a small rectangle piece of metal fell out. Well it took me over half an hour to figure how that spring and the piece of metal fit back together again in the slider. You would think after years of taking rifles apart and always having trouble trying to figure on how they go back together again that I would study the position of the parts before I just let them drop out. Some people never learn do they. LoL. By the way I had to reorder the front screw from Al as I forgot about the missing screw when I ordered the slider.
    Here's the difference between the stampings on the Remington Lee sight and the 1897 Trapdoor sight base and ladder. The ladder of the Remington Lee has no "R" stamped on the upper left of the ladder like the Springfield and it has an R-L, not just an "R" stamped on the base. Ray
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rayg; 08-12-2013 at 05:47.

To aid to rayg's comment, another helpful hint:
    Make sure your work bench is CLEAN before disassembling a newly purchased rifle. I put an M1922 all back together except for one tiny spring. Looked all over the schematic and could not locate it anywhere. Posted a pic of it on the relevant forum. No one could help. It was driving me NUTS!

Two days later, wife happens to mention: "Did you find the little spring I left on your workbench?"
    Last edited by Dan Shapiro; 08-11-2013 at 03:06.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rayg View Post
    Well an up date. I never heard back from Ed Knisely after he had the heart attack about the slider sight he said he had nor did Dick get back to me if he had one so I contacted Al Frasca and he had the slider but it was on the ladder which I bought but told him to only send me the slider part. Al's a class act as he deducted a few bucks because of that which he didn't have to do. He said ladders are common and not as scarce as loose slider sights.
    Anyway, the slider came Sat and when I took the screws out to separate the front and back of the slider to put it on the ladder, and a spring and a small rectangle piece of metal fell out. Well it took me over half an hour to figure how that spring and the piece of metal fit back together again in the slider. You would think after years of taking rifles apart and always having trouble trying to figure on they go back together again that I would study the position of the parts before I just let them drop out. Some people never learn do they. LoL. By the way I had to reorder the front screw from Al as I forgot about the missing screw when I ordered the slider.
    Here's the difference between the stampings on the Remington Lee sight and the 1897 Trapdoor sight base and ladder. The ladder of the Remington Lee has no "R" stamped on the upper left of the ladder like the Springfield and it has an R-L, not just an "R" stamped on the base. Ray
    Ray, I'm truly sorry I did not get back to you - We were on different schedules; I would have GIVEN you the slide, if I'd made looking for it a higher priority (talk's cheap, but I actually had planned to do it tomorrow - my weekend) but, clearly you wanted it sooner. At some later date you may want to get the later one that is more correct for the RL. The type shown - with the ears hanging down and with the fine graduations is the very first type, used only on TDs, and the SA-Hotchkiss Army rifle. Also, I hope you specified the right screw, they are significantly longer than those for the TD, as the base is much thicker (another "difference"). I will try and learn a lesson from this, and not volunteer to do something when I am uncertain of when I will get to it - it's not fair to the other party.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 08-11-2013 at 08:50.