Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default East Taylor LLC repro handguards?

I had a gentleman from another forum recommend reproduction Krag handguards from a firm called "East Taylor LLC". They appear to sell all varieties (including the 1899 carbine model with the wood sight protector) for $65, which includes rivets and the clips.

Anyone hear anything positive or negative about them?

Here's the link:

http://www.partsforantiqueguns.com/K...Handguards.htm
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

I have purchased maybe a half dozen handguards and forearm extensions from them. the 1901 rifle handguards required some minor fitting, especially under the binding lever.

I will continue to by stock parts from them.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

I would like to find a cracked or broken Krag handguard to I can have somebody put together one for me. But if that doesn't work out, I'd like to have an alternate plan.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

4. Default

The initial batch of 3rd block 1899s were made with rifle handguards so you have an easier option available.

You mean the "flat" handguards (no wooden sight protector) like on my other 1899, 356,000 range?

Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 06-26-2013 at 11:19.
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daiute View Post
    I have purchased maybe a half dozen handguards and forearm extensions from them. the 1901 rifle handguards required some minor fitting, especially under the binding lever.

I will continue to by stock parts from them.
    How were the forearm extentions? For what I'm doing (shortening, not stretching) it would be easier to just use regular stocks, but I just hate to chop a good stock to make a phony!

Anyone have one (or perhaps two) DECENT whacked M98 stocks - MUST have clear 1902 cartouche - for sale, CHEAP? I have a cutoff 1896 stock, and/or some parts which I would trade.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 06-26-2013 at 11:24. Reason: several

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    How were the forearm extentions? For what I'm doing (shortening, not stretching) it would be easier to just use regular stocks, but I just hate to chop a good stock to make a phony!
    That's why, when I advertised on the WTS/WTB forum, I asked for a broken or cracked handguard.
    --C.S. Lewis

I have one negative to throw in here. I bought one his handguards for a 1901 sight off ebay. I didn't get around to trying it for quite some time. When the sight was on, it left quite a gap between stock and handguard on the right side. He wasn't nice, but he did give me my money back, and told me he wouldn't sell to me again, because it fit, in his opinion. Yes, it fit, until you put the sight in the slot, which I don't think he did. So, I had my sister buy me another one through him, and it fit fine. I probably could have enlarged the sight slot and made it work, but don't think I should have had to. With anything mass produced you're going to have one not within specs from time to time. Also got one for a 1902 sight had to trim a wee bit to allow clearance for the elevation locking knob, no big deal, Mr. Dremel gave me a hand.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

I hope to find a broken handguard that I can piece together. If you have seen pictures of the corroded Krag carbine I have posted, I think a "new" handguard would look a little silly. I just thought it best to see if I could come up with an alternative if I can find a handguard to piece together.
    --C.S. Lewis

You know, I don't understand these people - with the machinery available today, NO one needs to turn out a cheap-$hit product.

I'd bet that most people would even pay more for a handguard, so long as it fit.

And - it's NOT bleeping rocket science, either. The holes NEVER move. The band NEVER moves. The clip slots NEVER move. There are only THREE sight-base placements. A monkey should be able to get it right, every time.