Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Electro plated carbine projectiles.

A local auction site is selling some projectiles for the M1 Carbine. Unbranded they are at a good price. As a rule I buy Norma FMJ. The description on the site reads as follows.

“Projectiles 30 Cal 110 grain RN
    These are a lead cored bullet with a electro coated copper jacket plated in place.
    These are designed for the .30 M1 Carbine.
    But also ideal for a reduced plinking .308 load for kids (to use) or small game. Use trail boss powder for best effect

Bag of 100 $25.

Freight - $4.50 nationwide”

I am sure this is not your regular FMJ. Anyone had any experience with this kind of projectile?
    Is it worth a gamble?
    Barry
    Last edited by Barryeye; 06-23-2013 at 07:29.
    Is it not better to place a question mark upon a problem while seeking an answer than to put the label `God` there and consider the matter closed? Joseph Lewis

No they are not your normal jacketed bullets. The are a lead bullet plated in copper. The amount of plating varies between makers with some being a thin coating. You have to treat these the same as if they were lead bullets. You cannot drive them to the velocities of FMJ no matter what the maker may say. Try to keep them around 1600 fps to prevent the copper plating from stripping off.

3. Default

My experience is with Berry's plated.

They're really designed for pistols chambered in .30Carb. Not a substitute for FMJ out of a carbine.

OK for slow, short range work but, as Mr Tuna says, you can't drive them at velocities approaching milspec (18-1900fps). Do that and they spray all over

Maury

PS - Just checked Berry's web site and it appears they don't even make the .30Carb any more.
    Last edited by Maury Krupp; 06-24-2013 at 10:25.

Thanks guys. I think I will give them a miss. I like to stick to as close to standard military as I can.
    Is it not better to place a question mark upon a problem while seeking an answer than to put the label `God` there and consider the matter closed? Joseph Lewis

I shot a lot of plated carbine bullets. Can't remember the manufacture but I took one and cut the copper off. It was pretty thick and hard. I had no problems with those.

Talked with Sierra TEch's about three years ago, regarding 9MM plated. Was told that don't attempt to shoot at normal velocities.

Think as others stated to keep low.

Good luck.

I am only familiar with Berry plated 110 gr carbine bullets. I use them with my carbine silencer.
    With 4 gr of Unique they hit 1000 fps and are quite quiet. Action must be manually operated.
    With 7 gr of Unique they hit 1600 fps and are quieter than the factory load. They cycle the action about 98 % of the time. This load would be ideal for use in a M2 carbine at close range. It would be easier on the rifling and wouldn't damage steel plates.
    The lady at Berry said the carbine bullets get thicker plating than the pistol bullets and can be loaded to 1900 fps. Haven't tried that yet.
    Jim C 351

8. Default

What are carbine projectiles going for now? A few months ago you could buy Remington bulk 110 gr FMJ from Natchez for about 15cents each + shipping. I really haven't paid close attention, but 25c a pop for 110 gr gilded lead bullets seems pretty high.

I just got 300 for $30. (special deal!)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipS View Post
    What are carbine projectiles going for now? A few months ago you could buy Remington bulk 110 gr FMJ from Natchez for about 15cents each + shipping. I really haven't paid close attention, but 25c a pop for 110 gr gilded lead bullets seems pretty high.
    Alas most ammo is imported here. I guess we pay more per bang than you do.